HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   ? for those who run'n'gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/406298-those-who-runngun.html)

Ridge Runner 05-03-2016 01:54 PM

? for those who run'n'gun

when you set up, do you set in front of a tree or behind something? I'll elaborate on this later, tell ya what I do and why, but I would like to read a couple responses first
RR

Sheridan 05-03-2016 02:16 PM

Back to a large tree, facing West with some "dead-fall" in front of me as cover.

Adrian J Hare 05-04-2016 06:51 AM

I spend time after 9:00am running and gunning for a few hours. I'm always on the ready as here the woods are think and its not uncommon for a gobbler to strike close as my second bird did this spring in Ontario. Get to a tree sit in front of it with my for arm knee towards the gobble and have the gun on the shoulder because hunts like that last only a few minutes. I like a tree with a little cover around to help conceal me...

Western MA Hunter 05-04-2016 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4257262)
I spend time after 9:00am running and gunning for a few hours. I'm always on the ready as here the woods are think and its not uncommon for a gobbler to strike close as my second bird did this spring in Ontario. Get to a tree sit in front of it with my for arm knee towards the gobble and have the gun on the shoulder because hunts like that last only a few minutes. I like a tree with a little cover around to help conceal me...

Exactly what I do...

BIG DONNIE BRASCO 05-05-2016 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4257262)

Same for me here in Kansas !

Topgun 3006 05-05-2016 08:18 AM

Same for me in MI!

Bob H in NH 05-05-2016 10:39 AM

I don't actually setup until I get an answer. But when I stop to call I have the tree picked out (lesson from last year). I also lightly cluck randomly while walking.

Western MA Hunter 05-05-2016 11:02 AM

exactly Bob... I try to stop and call where I could have a good setup...
I've done it the other way and things haven't worked out so well... just setting up without first picking a tree, etc. before I randomly call.

Ridge Runner 05-05-2016 02:26 PM

Man, every one of them will see you here if your not behind something, have tried many different camo's, they just pick you out and run/walk off. unless you see them first and shoot, but that's usually a 40-50 yard shot. so I get behind or under something, have been stepped on by gobblers twice that I can remember and have shot more that a few at 12 yards or less long as I was behind or under some cover.
RR

RockyMtnGobblers 05-05-2016 08:52 PM

I set up in front of a tree, rock, scrub oak or what ever conceals me from behind most of the time, some times things happen fast and I sit where I am without any concealment, after fly down I use H.S. Strut camo netting in front of me most of the time, I don't think it's a must but it helps if I move I'm concealed.