Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Worst Turkey Season Ever... >

Worst Turkey Season Ever...

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Worst Turkey Season Ever...

Old 05-02-2016, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

Default Worst Turkey Season Ever...

This year was a doosy for me. Started the season with a missed opportunity and a missed bird. Took vacation the first week of April and didn't hear a bird two of those days. Had one day of rain and another couldn't hunt that week. Had a cold mill outage the 3rd week of April which pretty much ruined my season. The birds I did get on were henned up and would go silent on the ground. It was pretty frustrating.

Hope everyone else had a good season.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

been slow here...
managed to get one first week... but not the usual action I have had in past
Old 05-02-2016, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems a lot of places right into Canada has had the strange weather this year. Our opening day was Rain-snow and ice, something I don't care to hunt in anymore.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Started out slow and wet. Then the end of last week, got one on Thursday, then got one of Friday. Gobbling like crazy on Friday. Hens should be nesting more about this time. This week should be a better week.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mother nature gave us rain for the opener and again today.
Tuesday and Wednesday look to be better days to be out.
Not a fan of rainy weather at all.....
Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

To date - the 9 birds I have called in. All but one was silent.

One did gobble off the roost. The majority came in strutting
Old 05-03-2016, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the days I have been able to get out this season, the birds have been fairly quiet. Unusual it seemed to me but then again my son is doing baseball this year and the games run on Saturday morning so i am only able to get out in the afternoon which might be one reason. Not a horrible season but a tag eating one.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Today was one of my best days of Turkey hunting, surrounded by gobbling Toms and Jakes, estimating at least 5 Toms and 4 Jakes .
Gobbling continued once they hit the ground. Then they all got together about 125 yards from me and the worst "barnyard"
brawl that I've ever heard with winds flapping, branches braking
and the racket they made was almost over the top. This lasted
for at least 5 minutes. As soon as the racket died down I called and within seconds I could see 2 Toms heading in my direction. They
came to 20 yards and stopped to look for me, one will never look again. The season started Monday, with a 2 bird limit and I'm
tagged out with the other bird coming right at fly down yesterday morning. I feel like I need to file a complaint it was such a short
season this year.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
This year was a doosy for me. Started the season with a missed opportunity and a missed bird. Took vacation the first week of April and didn't hear a bird two of those days. Had one day of rain and another couldn't hunt that week. Had a cold mill outage the 3rd week of April which pretty much ruined my season. The birds I did get on were henned up and would go silent on the ground. It was pretty frustrating.

Hope everyone else had a good season.
I feel you my friend, I've had a very similar year! Please don't take my words wrong... just remember, the hens WILL sit on the nest, and Toms, WILL hear you!

Will they always gobble, nope!
Will they always come in, nope!

I would argue that with enough patience, if there is a Tom in the area and you can call well enough, he'll come check you out eventually.

Realizing this I have not eaten a tag in 12 years, yet in those years I would bet that 75% of my birds were dead silent and taken between midday and late afternoon.

Hang in there my friend... it's a VERY frustrating undertaking.

This dude was stone silent at 3:30 in the afternoon!
Attached Thumbnails Worst Turkey Season Ever...-20160504_160949.jpg  
Old 06-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Ny season was a bust. Was out 10 mornings and never seen a gobbler!!!
Called in 7 jakes one morning, but that was it!!! Heard a couple sound off only once before 6am, then complete silence the rest of the morning!!! Tuffest season here in New York that I can remember? The fat lady is singing her song!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.