Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Spring turkey hunting hours per state >

Spring turkey hunting hours per state

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring turkey hunting hours per state

Old 03-14-2016, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spring turkey hunting hours per state

What state(s) do you hunt and what hours does that states reg.'s permit you to hunt during spring turkey season?
Va.'s season runs from 4/9 until 5/14. About the first 3 wks. are half day and the last roughly 2 wks. are full day.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 03-14-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here in MI our seasons this year start on 4/18 and go through 5/31. Legal shooting time is 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 before sunset.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

In CA, it's 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5 PM (It used to be 4 PM). The season is from March 26th to may 1st (37 days). And this is the last season we can use lead shot on turkeys.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
In CA, it's 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5 PM (It used to be 4 PM). The season is from March 26th to may 1st (37 days). And this is the last season we can use lead shot on turkeys.
Due to larger shot size demand of steel, that likely won't be a good alternative. Some of those Hevi-Shot prices are just crazy. Alternative shot reg's. just made hunting much pricier.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

I totally agree. Makes me wonder some about these ammo companies sometimes.
We're limited to # 2 shot size or smaller and they didn't change the shot size requirement when they took away lead shot.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

March 15th -April 30th in most of Alabama. Most WMAs closed at 1pm but have just these last two seasons gone to all day hunting.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The comment about ammo becoming more expensive, especially the non-lead shot shells, is certainly a fact. But when you get right down to it, crazy as it sounds, not a whole lot in the scheme of "turkey hunting things". How many rounds does one usually shoot per season? For me .... maybe 6-8 times. Even the "Nitro" at about $8.00/round would add up to $50-$60/season. Outrageous? Sure. Fuel along to and from where I can hunt turkey runs about $50/trip. I have seen ammo prices climb and climb and climb, as have most of us old timers. Box calls .... $25 and up to $100's. Slate pots .... same. Diaphragm calls $10/each. It's crazy ! And to think of the birds I killed with a $125 Savage SBS and $4.00/box , 2 3/4", "High Brass" shot shells ! I guess the sky is the limit these days as long as we are willing to pay the piper. Heck .... I recently found a box of Remington 22 LR in my stuff .... $0.35. Yep ... 35 cents !
Old 03-14-2016, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
The comment about ammo becoming more expensive, especially the non-lead shot shells, is certainly a fact. But when you get right down to it, crazy as it sounds, not a whole lot in the scheme of "turkey hunting things". How many rounds does one usually shoot per season? For me .... maybe 6-8 times. Even the "Nitro" at about $8.00/round would add up to $50-$60/season. Outrageous? Sure. Fuel along to and from where I can hunt turkey runs about $50/trip. I have seen ammo prices climb and climb and climb, as have most of us old timers. Box calls .... $25 and up to $100's. Slate pots .... same. Diaphragm calls $10/each. It's crazy ! And to think of the birds I killed with a $125 Savage SBS and $4.00/box , 2 3/4", "High Brass" shot shells ! I guess the sky is the limit these days as long as we are willing to pay the piper. Heck .... I recently found a box of Remington 22 LR in my stuff .... $0.35. Yep ... 35 cents !
It's a terrible addiction, isn't it? But somebody's got to do it.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cal, you can use Bismuth shot, Cabelas is handling it. The Kent Cartridge Co. bought the rights to the name "Bismuth" from Estate cartridge Co who was manufacturing it. They have it in #6 and 5 shot. PA, April 30 to May 14, half hour before sunrise to noon, May 16 to may 31, half hour before sunrise to half hour after sunset. Hunting by calling only, no stalking allowed. Shotgun only fine shot no larger than #4 lead, no larger than #2 steel shot and no larger than #4 of any other approved nox tox shot. Bearded birds only 1 per season, 2 if you purchase a 2nd spring bird tag.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-14-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oldtmr -- Explain "calling only, no stalking allowed"? Does the mean one has to pick a spot ... sit and call, and cannot move from that spot say to go to a gobbler heard or seen several hundred yards away?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.