Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Spring turkey hunting hours per state >

Spring turkey hunting hours per state

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring turkey hunting hours per state

Old 03-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Oldtmr -- Explain "calling only, no stalking allowed"? Does the mean one has to pick a spot ... sit and call, and cannot move from that spot say to go to a gobbler heard or seen several hundred yards away?
It surely couldn't be that strict, as there would be no way to enforce it. I would think you would be allowed to move to various spots, but I think stalking would be sneaking along trying to stay completely hidden to the point of where you could be shot by someone thinking you're a bird. I'm sure Oldtimr will let us know the exact meaning.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

It means you can't try to sneak up on a bird. You can move from set up to set up but you must try to call the bird to you not sneak on the bird and shoot. It is for safety.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Here in WA state, the spring season is 04/15 - 05/31. Hunting hours are a half-hour before sunrise to sunset. Bearded birds only with a limit of three per year. Archery, crossbow, or 10ga or smaller shotgun limited to 3 shots; #4 or smaller shot.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Colorado season is April 9- May 22 hunting hrs. are from 30 min. before sunrise to 30 min. after sunset. One bearded turkey unless you have a limited tag also then you can get a bird in your limited area and one in an unlimited area, with the two tags.

Last edited by RockyMtnGobblers; 03-14-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

One half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset.. All birds must be shot while on the ground..
Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 AM
Spike

MO half hour before sunrise to 1PM

In the past 2 or 3 youth seasons they have been able to hunt from one half hour before sunrise to sunset. I hope they are testing these hunting hours with the youth hunt to see what difference it makes on the harvest.

I would love to be able to hunt all day.

Last edited by bigc870; 03-15-2016 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Cal, you can use Bismuth shot, Cabelas is handling it. The Kent Cartridge Co. bought the rights to the name "Bismuth" from Estate cartridge Co who was manufacturing it. They have it in #6 and 5 shot. ....
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out.
Do you notice the same performance as lead, better than lead or worse than lead?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cal, I have been using Bismuth shot for waterfowl since it came to the US in the 80s because of the non tox requiremet. I use SXS shotguns and the barrels are not as thick as semis or pumps and Bismuth is not nearly as hard as steel but it carries the weight of lead. I am very happy with the results, most ducks and geese are dead in the air. The same as with lead. I bought it by the case so I still have some of the stuff from the Bismuth shot Co. When that is all I will be buying the stuff from Kent.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-15-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

30mins before sunrise to 30mins after.

The season runs 1 March to April 15. Season limit is 3 birds, and you can shoot all 3 in one day.

Jakes and bearded hens are legal.

Shotguns or archery, only. Shot sizes 4,5,6
Old 03-16-2016, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it out. .......
If you don't mind back order and #4 shot, Cabelas also offers Rio in 3" 1 5/8 oz. bismuth shot 10 per box at a good price point. Also, Hevi shot is offering rebates of up to $20 for shells purchased up through 06/16. Midway has an extensive listing. Have to try some of each myself.