Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey shells 3" or 3.5" >

Turkey shells 3" or 3.5"

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey shells 3" or 3.5"

Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Found my Winchester Supreme 12 Ga, 1200FPS - 3" #4 copper plated lead on a end of the sale for 10 rounds for 12.99 a box and bought the whole dang shelf. I am set for the rest of my lifetime!

Good out to 55 yards consistently in my SP11-87 - Cantlever 21" barrel with a Hastings
Choke and a Nikon Monarch Turkey Pro scope which is about 30 - 35 more yards than I really need.

JW
Old 03-19-2016, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

JW---IMHO Winchester is making the best loads there is for the money when you see the prices these other brands are priced at and they are more than comparable in their performance from what I'm seeing with my own eyes both on targets and live birds!
Old 03-22-2016, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Without a rebate the loads I use are about 5 bucks a shot. Way too much money but seeing how I only use one or two per year depending on if I try to fill the second tag not a bad price to pay for the performance of a bang flop at any normal turkey range. The Hevishot Magnum 4,6,7 blend is the best I have ever patterned out of my Benelli by a mile.
How much deader does it make them?
Old 03-23-2016, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the 3.5" mostly due to number of pellets and how they pattern in my SBEII. I sometimes carry my ol' 870 and shoot 3" shells in it. I've tried some 3" in my SBEII and found that the increased payload of the 3.5" just patterned better. No real reason for why, they just do.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Spike

I said I would never use 3.5" shells and now I am eating those words.

I have a 835 with Indian creek choke and my pattern at 40 yards is just devastating with 3.5" hevi shot mag blend 5, 6 ,7's. The patterns I was getting where the best I have ever gotten. Not to mention I tested them out to 60 yrds and it would be dead bird easily, but I don't see myself shooting much over 40 yrds because too much can go wrong.

I first started with 3" mag blend, Longbeards, 3.5" Double X and 3" supremes. and the patterns all had alot of holes in it at 30yrds except the longbeards they are just too tight for my liking when you shoot 20yrds and under and they did pattern really well at 40yrds. but with the longbeard at close ranges if you happen to flinch or the turkey moves just at you are shooting you have a good chance of missing. That is way I choose the Mag blend instead of the longbeards but at long ranges the longbeards really throw some nice patterns

Yes the 3.5" Kicked hard but at the range is the only place you will really notice it anytime I have shot at a turkey or deer for that matter I never feel the recoil of the gun.

Last edited by bigc870; 03-23-2016 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by fingerz42
How much deader does it make them?
Dead is dead. I use what works best and the pattern on that particular load is incredible. Just like when I elk hunt I make sure to use a premium bullet. A lesser grade bullet will still kill the elk but when I am hunting something like that I always use the best setup I can as an added level of insurance and the confidence that I am doing all I can to be successful. Even though my turkey setup has been patterned out to 60 yds I limit my shots to 40 and under. I echo the previous post. I have run several boxes of shells from various companies with many different loads and the 3 1/2" hevishot blend is the best out of my SBE.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-24-2016 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will be using 3 inch Remington Premier Magnum Turkey Loads loaded to the Max. in number 5 shot. Unless they do not pattern very good then I will go back Winchester Supreme # 6 shot. I decided to try and switch because I picked up one heck of a deal on them. I picked up a box of 10 for $8.99 regular $15.17 so I bought all they had which was not very much as they were going off the shelf fast. Last year a warden that was checking me out told me that #6 shot was to lite.. I laughed at him and told him I had just shot and tagged one yesterday and it did pretty good. Besides that the law here states shot sizes 4 threw 6 were only allowed turkey hunting.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-24-2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

3 in is all I have used. My turkey gun is an old Win pump and it won't take 3.5 inch shells. Never had a problem taking turkeys, ducks and geese with it. heck i even used it on Tundra Swan in NC once and it dumped that bird just fine.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a fan of Hevi-shot. I first shot it as Rem. Hevi-shot 3" no.4. It was great stuff. I tried some Wingmaster HD 3" #6. bang-flop-dead. When I ran some Hevi-shot mag blend through my gun (Win 1300), not so great.

Currently, I'm using 3" Win Supreme #5. (copper coated lead) through a Comp-N-Choke XX-Full tube. That is a mean combination on my bird buster. Next year I wanna try the Longbeard XR.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JoeA
I'm a fan of Hevi-shot. I first shot it as Rem. Hevi-shot 3" no.4. It was great stuff. I tried some Wingmaster HD 3" #6. bang-flop-dead. When I ran some Hevi-shot mag blend through my gun (Win 1300), not so great.

Currently, I'm using 3" Win Supreme #5. (copper coated lead) through a Comp-N-Choke XX-Full tube. That is a mean combination on my bird buster. Next year I wanna try the Longbeard XR.
I bought a box of Longbeard XR #5 3" shells for less than $20 for a box of ten last year for the Bennelli I keep up here in MI for my FL buddy. I took it out to the range and shot it one time and couldn't believe the tight pattern it delivered. I shot a bird last year at about 40 yards or a little further and it knocked him down and out like it was at 10 yards. I have to stay with their 2 3/4" Super X Turkey loads for my Winchester Model 1200 after they discontinued the XXs in 2 3/4" and they do well for me in that gun with a Carlsons choke. However, when my buddy isn't up here hunting with me I'll be using that camo Benelli with the 3" XRs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.