Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

2016 Expectations

Old 02-13-2016, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

I live in the Islands and normally we have a ton of birds. For some reason there weren't many around last spring and I haven't seen many flocks this winter. Not sure what is going on. Can't be winter kill because we don't get much snow and the land is all ag type so plenty of food.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Tail Feathers
Biologists insist it's more the length of the day than weather that affects turkey breeding and nesting. So it should happen about the same time every year.
We had a lot of birds last year and only two were killed off the property so I'm very optimistic about this spring!
So they say but I heard of multiple people finding nests in late March of 10-12 eggs. That is an abnormal time to find nests and especially that size in Alabama. While daylight does affect when birds will lay I believe that ground temp and ambient temps may push that forward by quite a bit.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Barefoot Friar
I'm going to kill my first bird this year, which will be my third season. Either that or I'll call one in for my brother to kill. Hopefully both.

The weather is going to be rocky, though. Our local meteorologist is saying that El Nino years feature more tornadoes in the southeastern US, and I think he's right.

EDIT: I just saw you're from Hatton. I'm down in Houston, and hunt Bankhead. I was out a couple weeks ago and saw a pretty good looking flock, so hopefully when the season opens they'll still be kicking.
I cut my teeth on the A side of Bankhead. I fell off quite a bit when the hogs invaded. A few years back I hunted the B side pretty hard and found tons of birds. I have this thing about getting locked in on one place and staying with it the entire season. Last year it was Waterloo. The year before Cherokee. This year I might venture into Tennessee.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Spike

It's gonna be a wet year down here in south Florida! It's the dry season and everything is still underwater so that means whoever has the dry land will slay the birds!
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 PM
Typical Buck

It's looking like we might have a wet spring in AL. Going to make things challenging.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

I am riding a 7 year birdless streak. That ends this spring
Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Swamp_slayer
It's gonna be a wet year down here in south Florida! It's the dry season and everything is still underwater so that means whoever has the dry land will slay the birds!
Wet here in central Florida as well...with more rain coming.
Old 02-23-2016, 08:46 AM
Spike

Mild winter here in Illinois. I continue to get nice videos of decent groups of jakes and toms from my trail cams. Still waiting to see what seasons and counties I drew here as the Illinois lottery process is a PITA. Just got some shells rolled up and waiting to get nice weather to pattern. Good luck to everyone.
Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 AM
Spike

Default Expectations

Well last year I had a Large late snow storm blow in. Turkeys that I was hunting was around 9000 ft in elevation. Still managed to find some fresh tracks in the powder and after 3 hrs of tracking finally called him in with his 3 buddies at to about 3 ft. So id say expectations are high to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails 2016 Expectations-.facebook_1457028214997.jpg  
Old 03-05-2016, 03:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am predicting a very hard year up in my neck of the woods.. Last year was a hard year with many striking out up here due to a hard winter. We were lucky to see any big flocks at all. So far I have seen a few large flocks with 30 plus birds in them due to a very easy winter so far. Now the warm temps have some of the birds strutting already. I feel most of our turkeys will be jakes and the like with a few exceptions.. I am hoping to find that exception though which should mean a heavey bird!

I have also had a fight with cancer this winter which will limit my vacation time once I go back to work. I normally take the first week of turkey season for a vacation.. This year it looks as though I will be going back to work around opening week someplace. But I will still be getting a few chances at them with my work being shift work.. Besides I am glad to be able to go after the turkeys once again!! Good Luck every one !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.