Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey vest poll please help >

Turkey vest poll please help

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey vest poll please help

Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 AM
Spike

Default Turkey vest poll please help

Please tell me what frustrates you in a turkey vest.
What do you like/ want in a turkey vest?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

1. The specialized box call pocket. On my vest, it's on the 'wrong' side for my comfort since I'm a lefty. It's useless to me and too deep & narrow to be much use for anything else.

2. No clip for drinking end of the water bladder hose. There's one on the shoulder, but the end kinda stuck out and got in my way. As a result, I took the whole bladder & hose out.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Depends on how much you like to "run & gun" ??

Here is the Cadillac IMO;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABEL...ST/1658176.uts
Old 12-02-2015, 02:36 AM
Dominant Buck

I have an old model I got years ago. It was made by Bucklick Creek or something like that and has a self supporting seat which drops down. I always sit up against a tree for safety but the seat will support you without a back rest so if the tree is irregular it doesn't matter. It has all the pockets for my calls, spare shells and the decoys. The decoy pouch has clips holding it closed so it will carry a dead 20 pound bird in addition to my 3 decoys easily out of the woods.
Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one ten years ago and I used the heck out of it. I even used it during deer season when I was hunting on the ground. Lately I just carry a backpack and a low profile turkey hunting chair that folds up nicely. I hunt deer, turkey, and coyote with this setup. I have found I have more options on what I can carry this way. Water, extra clothes, raingear, lights, cutlery, ammo, calls, decoys, packable food or even a propane stove with a hot meal and coffee. All or some of what I mentioned can be taken for an all day hunt. If I run and gunned more I could see use for a vest.

I almost forgot to add that my pack has a mega sized roll-up mag dump pouch attached to it that would hold a bird if needed.

Last edited by d80hunter; 12-03-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Additional paragraph
Old 12-08-2015, 02:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think they still make it, called the Mossy Oak Elite III. 19 zippered pockets, I'm on my second one now. Love it.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 AM
Fork Horn

The 3 requirements are:

1). The biggest, most comfortable seat cushion possible
2). LOTS of pockets
3). A big pouch in the back to carry gear and hopefully a bird

Something with a back support is a plus also.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

I picked up the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r kickstand vest after this past season. It has a super thick cushion and a self supporting backrest that can be deployed.
It my testing it is awesome. I really like the pocket setup.
I've had two Bucklick Creek vests and they work good, just not enough padding for my old behind nowadays.
Old 01-10-2016, 03:13 AM
Spike

Vests are aggravating because there is only one way the pouches can be fit on it, and they're all sewn on. So there's no way to change things around as your hunt changes. Also, I'm fat, and they don't make vests in fat man sizes.

I much prefer a belt and butt pack loadout, very similar to what soldiers and Marines carried in Vietnam. In fact, several of my pouches are 'Nam surplus. I have a couple different butt packs, and various MOLLE pouches of different sizes. This lets me change my loadout for location, weather, and target game. I use it for deer, turkey, hogs, rabbits, and anything else I decide to hunt. I can carry either a cushion or my low-profile turkey chair. I also wear camo with lots of pockets, so I can put important things up front where I can easily get to them.

I guess if I was doing a run-and-gun style turkey hunt, a vest would be better. But then again, I can sit down with my belt on for a few minutes with no discomfort, and if I'm going to be longer I always take the belt off anyway so my stuff is accessible.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
The 3 requirements are:

1). The biggest, most comfortable seat cushion possible
2). LOTS of pockets
3). A big pouch in the back to carry gear and hopefully a bird

Something with a back support is a plus also.

I agree 100%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.