HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   very quiet in the turkey woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/399212-very-quiet-turkey-woods.html)

maytom 05-09-2015 05:52 AM

very quiet in the turkey woods

After being out 4 mornings now here in NY, the silence is killing me???? I mean no gobbles what so ever and this is even from some of my honey holes!!! I can understand after a morning gobble before flydown they get henned up. But not hearing a peep right till the quitting time at 12 noon is sure frustrating to say the least!!! Wondering on any others experiencing this when out?

Timbrhuntr 05-09-2015 06:18 AM

Man that is a bummer ! I am in Ontario and just started really hunting seriously here last week and I have been on birds all day. They are gobbling good on the roost but seem to be with hens as they shut up pretty quick when hit the ground. I have been having luck getting them to work a little later in the morning but if you aren't even hearing a gobble that would be tough !

RPD63 05-09-2015 06:25 AM

Are you seeing any sign that there's at least birds in the area?

swampbuster 05-09-2015 09:35 AM

When you go several days in a row and don't hear one single gobble that is very disappointing. If I can just hear turkeys I am usually ok with not killing one. As previously stated have you seen tracks or scratching to let you know that turkeys are close? You might have to pull stakes and look for new ground. Good luck

bald9eagle 05-09-2015 01:39 PM

It's been a strange year most everywhere.

Topgun 3006 05-09-2015 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by bald9eagle (Post 4197233)

I'll second that! The birds up here are very quiet on the roost and I've only worked one bird so far and he never would come within sight. Maybe it will be better up north when I head up there tomorrow, but the weather forecast is looking lousy the first few days, so who knows.

bronko22000 05-09-2015 02:18 PM

Not here in my part of PA. I got a nice mature bird last Monday that, after giving him one series of yelps, he came in about 250 yards gobbling every 15-20 seconds. I shot him within 1/2 mile of my house. But what's driving me nuts is that I don't have a second tag and with it being warm out now I sleep with the windows open and I have them waking me up at 5:30.
But they get quiet about 7:00 or so.

bald9eagle 05-10-2015 09:55 AM

Most of the birds I encountered acted like very mature toms. I didn't hear much of what I would call 2 year old gobbling except for the bird I harvested.

CalHunter 05-10-2015 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bald9eagle (Post 4197233)

I agree. I usually hear and see turkeys everywhere during the season. The cattle ranch where I hunt has had a mountain lion problem so that pretty much messed up the hunting season this spring. Some of the urban areas still have lots of turkeys but there's no hunting and no mountain lions there. Bummer.

Topgun 3006 05-10-2015 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4197327)
I agree. I usually hear and see turkeys everywhere during the season. The cattle ranch where I hunt has had a mountain lion problem so that pretty much messed up the hunting season this spring. Some of the urban areas still have lots of turkeys but there's no hunting and no mountain lions there. Bummer.

So what is the ranch legally able to do about the lion problem out there in Californy?