Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Best Chokes for Turkey Hunting >

Best Chokes for Turkey Hunting

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Chokes for Turkey Hunting

Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

i have an older model 12 ga Benelli Super Black Eagle. It is inertia operated so you get all the recoil you are entitled to. The newer models come with recoil reduction systems but mine just kicks like a mule. I use hevishot 3 1/2" blend shells and have very good patterning at 40 yds and beyond. I sent the gun out to be smithed and had it ported and while they were at it extended the forcing cone which reduced the felt recoil a little. I had them make a full turkey choke too sized .660. It is a nice light to carry shotgun.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

[QUOTE=JW;4217179]Actually I think that is a Model 11 Remington Autoloading Shotgun. I own one as it was my 1st ever shotgun given to me by my granddad way back when.

Very well could be the Model 11. I own two Model 11's and three Auto 5's....still my preferred gun on a dove field or a duck marsh.

Sorry, I'm a sucker for the long recoil guns. Carry on with the choke thread.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:12 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And Nomercy448 has it correct.....Tjhere is No Mercy to the Number of Choke tubes available out there.....each shotgun made on the market today. There is no ONE Miracle Choke made tho.
You still need to try Ammo & Choke & Range Time to develop your Pattern which will tell you Your Real Lethal Maximum Range which takes all the guess work out of it.

But call them up close (Less than 20 Yards) and Shoot their head off. Any choke will work for that.

JW
Old 09-11-2015, 05:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used a 12 ga for years for turkey. But over the past 5 or so years I've used a little Remington 870 youth model 20 ga with a red dot scope. A Remchoke xtra full choke and Winchester Supreme 3" 5 shot has killed 3 turkey out to 35 yards. That combo throws a tight pattern out to 40 yards which is my limit with any shotgun. And the youth model shotgun is a joy to carry and from the sitting position it fits in my shoulder nicely. Oh yeah BTW it is in camo too.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found that with the 20 ga, it really depends on the gun as to what choke tends to work better. I have chokes like the above photo just for the 20 ga turkey guns...