Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
7 1/2 shot size questions >

7 1/2 shot size questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

7 1/2 shot size questions

Old 04-07-2015, 07:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sbrumfield1
My gun isn't too old. Actually its only two years old. I just felt the need to put the word old in front of SxS it felt right haha.. Anyways its chambered up to a 3" shell so in the next couple of days I'll go pick up some turkey loads in #5 and #6 shot and see which patterns better. Also I think I'm gonna stick with the full choke that came with the gun and stick the IM in the other barrel. I'll shoot for some extra tight chokes next year. Just trying to get my feet wet right now. Thanks for all the help!
Well Judas, the gun is only 2 years old and you use the term old! If you have a full choke, put that in one side and then put the tightest choke you have left in the other side and go pattern both barrels to know how far you can get the job done on a bird!
Old 04-08-2015, 02:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

back in the early 90's federal came out with premier turkey loads loaded with 2 oz of 7 1/2 copper coated lead. I bought a box and patterned them, devastating was the only way to describe it. gave one to a buddy who completely shredded a gobblers head at less than 20 yards.
He requested another shell and I obliged, next morning he called in a dominant bird to between 30 and 35 yards, he took the shot, the gobbler immediately took wing, flew 50 yards, he heard the bird crash and went to the spot, he saw the gobbler laying on the ground, flat, wings spread, head up.
Not wanting to shoot again, he watched and waited, the birds head started to sag, then it came back up, then sag, gradualy his head drooped to the ground and stayed there 10 min. as soon as he took a step to retrieve it, it was again in the air never to be found.
the next year the old bird was back in business (we thought so anyways) he went through the motions of stutting and we watched him gobble at 50 yards, but he never made a sound.
they will work close, I wouldn't use them beyond 25 yards.
RR
Old 04-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

With lead shot I like to use 5's. I have mostly shot Hevishot the last few years, shooting 6's and the last two years I've shot Magnum Blend Hevishot. But no, I wouldn't use 7 1/2 lead shot
Old 04-13-2015, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
What about the federal premium heavyweight #7 turkey loads? Will they be alright to 35 yards?

Most definitely. I shot the expensive Nitro loads for years, but got tired of all the pixie dust shot that was beginning to increase in the shells. I switched to the Federal Heavyweights with the Flite Control wad and installed one of George TruLocks chokes made specifically for that load.

It hits like Thor's hammer. Only one bird has even flopped after it was hit. The rest went down and never moved.

Gman