HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   youth model 870 express 20 ga. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/398475-youth-model-870-express-20-ga.html)

grinder67 03-27-2015 02:38 PM

youth model 870 express 20 ga.

Does anyone have experience turkey hunting with one? Looking for suggestions on shot size , and choke to get started patterning for my sons youth turkey hunt.

xOEDragonx 03-27-2015 08:26 PM

The youth model 870 is about the only gun I ever use for birds. It was given to me when I was 10 years old and though I'm now beyond youth age, I find the short barrel much easier to control given my short stature. It's slaughtered it's fair share of ducks, geese, doves and turkeys alike.

As for suggestions, ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers. I use a Primos Jellyhead choke for turkeys and the pattern stays tight to about 30 yards. At 35 yards, the shot scatters a bit but would definitely still kill a bird. 40 yards, less confident, but could probably still kill a bird if it's a clear shot across a field. I definitely wouldn't even consider shooting any further than that with it. I use either Winchester Double X or Kent Ultimate Diamond Shot, 3" shells 5 shot. Both pattern relatively the same out of my gun. I've used several different guns to kill turkeys, but that combo is my only go-to nowadays. The only time it's ever failed me were for reasons that were my own fault, never the gun.

Best of luck to you and your son this season. It's a great gun, he'll definitely slaughter some birds with it.

grinder67 03-28-2015 04:49 AM

Thanks for you reply, I appreciate it. This will be my second son to use this little 20 ga. My oldest son killed his first couple deer and several doves, squirrels and rabbits when he was young but never got a legitimate shot at a turkey(shot at one running) until he was carring a 12 ga.

SecondChance 03-29-2015 04:54 AM

I have 3 20ga that I use to hunt geese, ducks, doves and now I am planning on using it too hunt turkeys. I have had my wifes 11-87 Premier set up and she took a tom 5 yrs ago with it.
I bought a Stewart Wrights "The Swarm" choke tube and Hevi-13 shot in 6's and a scope. I also used a Primos Jelly Head with same shell. I went with the Hevi-13 due to its increased pellet energy to compensate for the lack of a large shot charge.
Stewart Wright choke tubes set the World Turkey shoot standards and have won more championships and World Shoots than any other tube available.
I am going to use my new Baikal 20ga Sporting Clays O/U with TruLock chokes, Hevi-13 in 6's and a handload 3" of ITX shot in 4's as back up. Both with TruLocks Turkey .565 tubes. Devastating out to 40yds!!!