Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Post your Spring turkey tip >

Post your Spring turkey tip

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Post your Spring turkey tip

Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I don't put much faith into the don't sit too close to the roost, don't call too much, don't use decoys in the late season etc etc stuff as I have found through hunting them that there is a time and place for all off these to work both for and against you. But one of the biggest things I do agree with is patience. I used to get up and move because I got bored when the interaction slowed down and sure enough I was always bumping birds. Once I slowed it a bit and had more patience I started to get more successful. The other tip would be spend some time getting your calling better. I know people like to say that you don't need to be a good caller but I have found that most of the guys I hunted with that were very successful were darn good callers. I noticed that as I learned from them and my calling got better my success also went up too.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you timbr. I will take a birds temperature. If he likes it hot I will give it to him and try to get him running in. I also don't buy into birds getting "call shy". I've seen private land birds act like they had been hunted by every turkey hunter in the world when I was the first call they had heard. I've seen public land birds near seasons end come running to calls like they were jakes on opening day.

I've called loud. I've called soft. I've sat in one spot forever and I've run-n-gunned. I've pushed and tried to get as close as possible and I've setup further back and tried to call 'em in. It works different for every bird. If he gobbles at hard cutting but nothing else he's probably henned up. If he gobbles hard at anything he may still be henned up but is more likely to work.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Safe Hunting is No Accident.

JW
Old 03-21-2015, 03:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Safe Hunting is No Accident.

JW

One that note....Saw someone on Facebook posted that they had to carry her husband and son to the ER after they had been shot. It wasn't serious but could have been. The guy had five pellets strike him in the back of his head and the son had a couple strike him in the arm.

MAKE SURE OF YOUR TARGET!!!!!