Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Post your Spring turkey tip >

Post your Spring turkey tip

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Post your Spring turkey tip

Old 03-14-2015, 11:59 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Like DTC HAS already said...... patience! When a gobbler goes quiet don't assume he's left and the game is over. I was always taught that when he gets quit he's up to no good ��
Old 03-16-2015, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

If you see another hunter sneaking up on you decoys, yell "DECOY!!" and don't move. On the same vein, set your decoys so you can see a long ways behind them (i.e., further than a shotgun can shoot). Always remember, you are wearing full camo and making noises like the thing that everyone out there is hunting (be extra careful with a gobbler call on public land -- I leave mine at home.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Patience !
like many before me have said.... be patient!

When I first started turkey hunting, if I didn't see them fly down or I didn't hear any that were close within the first 30 minutes of sunrise... I'd be stomping back to the truck all pi$$ed off.

Then one day a TRUE hunter, an "old timer" set me straight and now I sit, and sit, and sit, and do my best to limit my calls, and my success rate is really great now!!

* Oh, and I rarely use a decoy.

BDB
Old 03-18-2015, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

Decoys can work against you sometimes. I've had birds appear to spook from a decoy. I assume these were educated birds. If I use them, it tends to be early in the season.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
When I first started turkey hunting, if I didn't see them fly down or I didn't hear any that were close within the first 30 minutes of sunrise... I'd be stomping back to the truck all pi$$ed off
BDB
Thats the way alot of public land hunters around here seem to be. Hard to find a parking spot before daylight , darn near the whole place to yourself by 9-10 o'clock
Old 03-20-2015, 05:22 PM
Typical Buck

Be cautious when calling gobblers up in the tree,cant kill them until they hit the ground , an old tom is smart enough to wonder why there is a hen on the ground already .At leastyou have a 50/50 chance of him flying down in your direction if you dont call much or at all. Call to much and your %drops fast.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Say What???

Some good tips here......
Old 03-20-2015, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quiet entry to your spot. I have busted birds off their roost in the dark in the past cause I made too much noise. I always liked the short cuts to my spot but I learned a little longer walk pays off.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
Quiet entry to your spot. I have busted birds off their roost in the dark in the past cause I made too much noise. I always liked the short cuts to my spot but I learned a little longer walk pays off.

+1

Never set-up closer then 100 yards from their roost tree.

.........................Or you're already busted
Old 03-21-2015, 01:59 AM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Ya a game changer for me was putting away my decoys for late season public land toms. Early season they work most of the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.