Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Northeast Snow

Old 02-27-2015, 05:17 PM
Spike

Default Northeast Snow

I heard the deep snow here in the northeast is beginning to take its tool on some of the turkey flock with some die off.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

We live and drive through NW Ct every day. We have a lot of snow and severe cold here too.

All I have seen in the last week was a crow. We live near where they hunt and release pheasants and have seen none.

We were seeing deer from the road until all the snow came.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Spike

I live in Upstate New York, my area gets on an average of 220 inches of snow or more a year, and well below Single-Digit Temps, I don't know how on earth Turkey and Deer or any animal can survive these conditions but I have seen an increase of Deer and Turkey across New York, actually I've had a flock of turkeys 20 or so give or take, feeding in my back yard, I haven't feed them this year or any year and don't plan to do so because of the possible risk of spreading diseases. I hope that they can find food to survive for us hunters to enjoy future years of hunting
Old 03-13-2015, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

The snow is still terrible here in NW CT. We have over a foot still on the ground.

I went to the range today and it's not easy walking in snow that deep.

My foot breaks through every fourth step and where it's ice it's wet and slippery.

It's supposed to rain tomorrow and hit 45F for a high.

It's 30 here now.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you from experience that turkeys can survive in the snow a lot better than you think. Our winter last year was long, cold, deep, and continuous. We figured it would be a silent spring. The hunting turned out better that we'd had in years. They'll do better than the deer. You may lose a few, but I predict that you'll still have plenty come hunting season
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

I can say that the deer right now are starting to take a large hit from coyotes here as the snow has started melting during the day and freezing up during the night.. Coyotes can run on top of it now while the deer sinks into it.. We have had record snowfalls here and just last night another 14 inches of it.. I surely hope it ends soon..

The turkey are expected to be taking quite a hit from it as well as the snow has been light and fluffy for the most part.. I have seen some around where people have been feeding them and other area you might get to see 1 or 2 birds.. Hopefully they are doing ok. I am in the northern most range of them here in the northeast and the turkeys were stocked into our area back around 8 years ago.. So once the snow leaves and they start hitting the open areas we will have a better idea.. last year's ice storms cut them back quite a bit in some areas.. So right now it is more of a wait and see type of thing..

This snowbank was around 2 weeks ago and is around 12 feet high like a lot of our area is.. It did get some decent melting last week and now more snow is getting piled up there once again..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...-snow-bank.jpg

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 03-16-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM
JW
Super Moderator

though not as much it is like Wisconsin was last year. Yes your turkeys will take a big hit. Once on the ground in light fluffy snow they sink. Not good.

JW
Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Spike

I love cali, 80 today.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:47 PM
Spike

I've seen 4 different flocks of turkeys 15 or more in each flock and all seem healthy and trying to find food we've got around 3 foot banks of snow and the birds don't seem to sink into the snow, this year's weather is putting a toll on these animals but it has ever since turkeys and deer have been around and they always pull through, just hope for lots of successful breeding.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by sasquatch200269
I love cali, 80 today.
Can you see the sun through all that smog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.