Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone Shooting a 10ga?

Old 02-16-2015, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Anyone Shooting a 10ga?

Picked up and H&R Model 176 this weekend. Gonna try to use it for turkey this year. Looking for shell recommendations to try out. What are ya'll shooting?
-Jake
Old 02-16-2015, 05:00 PM
Typical Buck

I have a new England arms turkey 10ga with 24" barrel and turkey choke I use rem permier turkey loads. I use number 6 shot but they stoped making them in 6 shot. Now all they make is #4, I got enough to last me a perty long time.

http://remington.com/products/ammuni...key-loads.aspx

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotg...dnerTurkey.asp
Old 02-17-2015, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a bps 10 and have killed many birds with winchester ,and federal basic #4 turkey loads, nothing fancy. I will tell you that I watched my cousin shoot a turkey at 58 yards using that same H&R and killed that turkey DRT but the recoil also about killed him. He has been shooting the BPS 10 for a long time and said there was no comparison in the two so be careful .
Old 02-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot an SP-10. Currently using a TruLock choke and Federal Heavyweight #7's.

" />
Old 02-17-2015, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
I hunt with a bps 10 and have killed many birds with winchester ,and federal basic #4 turkey loads, nothing fancy. I will tell you that I watched my cousin shoot a turkey at 58 yards using that same H&R and killed that turkey DRT but the recoil also about killed him. He has been shooting the BPS 10 for a long time and said there was no comparison in the two so be careful .
Yes mine realy kicks bad, and its heavy that why I mainly use my rem 1100 12ga magnum. Kicks less and I have and synthic stock on it and it weighs a lot less. Mine with that short barrel is realy loud, so wear ear protection.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have a NEF 10 and mine has a kicks GT and it likes win uv #4's
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hang on tight! The recoil can be pretty stout when shooting those H&R guns. A guide I know out here carries one in 12ga, as a back up for his clients. With a 3" Win Supreme it kicks hard.

A friend in AL got a 10ga Mossberg. It vaporized the part of the neck of a turkey he shot.