HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   turkey chokes and shells (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/397431-turkey-chokes-shells.html)

Bulldog81 02-02-2015 08:24 AM

turkey chokes and shells

I have been using a Remington 870 12 ga with comp n choke .655 and Winchester 3.5" #5, 2oz load. It delivers a pretty good pattern. I recently bought a Beretta al391 12 ga for wing shooting but have toyed with the idea of using it on turkeys. I am interested in the hevi shot as well as some other loads. Looking at a few options. I am a little confused on what chokes work with hevi 13 and Winchester longbeard xr. Beretta shoots 3" shells or less.

1. Use 870 with comp n choke using Winchester 3.5' #5's like before.
2. Buy choke compatible with hevi shot for 870.
3. Buy choke compatible with hevi for beretta.

If anyone has used combinations of chokes and loads of hevi, Winchester longbears xr, and regular Winchester #5's give me your opinion. I know the 870 will shoot 3.5" but not sure if it is much better than another load in 3". The beretta would have less recoil and allow for quicker follow up shots. I know the cheapest thing to do is just buy some more Winchester #5 2oz load since I have experience with them. Other load recommendations are good too.

bald9eagle 02-02-2015 11:03 AM

Get a Jellyhead .660 for the 870 if cost is a factor. If not then try a Pure Gold or Rhino and then order a box of Nitro Shells, all for the Beretta. The Jellyhead is not only reasonable but is a solid shooting choke too. The Rhino is a definite step up.

The XR, Hevi13, Hevi Mag Blend, and Nitro are all in the same price range. Nitro isn't as widely sold because they are loaded to max powder levels. Having shot all 4 brands I can tell you there is a tremendous difference in them and the cheaper copper plated 5's.

If you go to the Nitro site they have a recommendations page. They have shot a lot of gun/shell/choke combos and can suggest something. I found that the Mag Blend and Nitro have very similar patterns in both my 870 and SBE II.

NYlongbeards 02-02-2015 04:16 PM

I'd get a full choke for the Beretta and the Hevi Shot, It will save you money and time finding 3" shells than 3.5" shells, I wouldn't go with a tighter constriction than full for hevi shot below #6, but if you're gonna use #6 and higher than I'd use a extra-full, only because the tighter constriction could effect the pattern of the load.

I'd say if what you're using now is giving you good patterns I'd stick with that "What's not broken don't fix it", I can say myself I really don't care for the Remington Nitro loads for the reasons that they are just plain lead shot and have poor penetration in my experience, I like the copper plated shot or even bismuth or tungsten.

bald9eagle 02-03-2015 01:22 PM

To be clear...I'm speaking about Nitro Shell Company...not Remington Nitros.

Bulldog81 02-04-2015 05:48 PM

I saw where Indian creek choke tubes for remington were 25% off on Midway making it $55 plus $5 shipping. Bass Pro has it listed at $75. Thinking about taking advantage of sale. I would like to try hevi shot magnum blend or hevi 13 probably in #6. I do not get to go but a few times a year and hate to spend the extra money but I like to have odds in my favor since I do not get many mornings. If you prefer magnum blend or hevi 13 please give input. I will probably try one and compare to lead.

Bulldog81 02-06-2015 09:17 AM

I ordered the indian creek choke for my 870. I would like to know which hevi load is best to try first. I am thinking hevi 13 #6 or magnum blend. I am hearing better patterns on web with hevi 13 #6. Is hevi #6 equal to lead # 5. I though about going with hevi 13 # 5 but think extra pellets in #6 will be more beneficial. Hevi shot is too expensive to try all combinations so I want to try most recommended vs lead first. Would like to hear from people with experience with these combos.

RPD63 02-06-2015 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Bulldog81 (Post 4183769)
I ordered the indian creek choke for my 870. I would like to know which hevi load is best to try first. I am thinking hevi 13 #6 or magnum blend. I am hearing better patterns on web with hevi 13 #6. Is hevi #6 equal to lead # 5. I though about going with hevi 13 # 5 but think extra pellets in #6 will be more beneficial. Hevi shot is too expensive to try all combinations so I want to try most recommended vs lead first. Would like to hear from people with experience with these combos.

I get better patterns with heavy 13 #6 than I do with the #5. That is out of my Nova so your results will vary. I still prefer the Magblend out of my set up.

bald9eagle 02-07-2015 03:04 AM

If you have a sporting goods store nearby you might get them to sell individual shells. I'm not talking about the big box stores. Has to be a mom and pop. We have two stores around here that my brother talked into selling individual shells. Convince them that they will make more money doing it that way (cause they will). If a guy spends 35-40$ on a box of shells they probably will only buy that one box. If they can buy 2 loads of one shell and 2 loads of another before making their choice then the store sells the 4 shells plus a box. If you shoot those 4 and still want to try something else you could buy 2 more of another brand. Win-win.

gun870guy 02-07-2015 04:33 AM

I went with the magnum blend choke with the Mag blend shot and have never seen a better pattern out of an 870. http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/2301...onTime&dir=asc