Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey and tree stands

Old 11-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Spike

Default Turkey and tree stands

I am a new hunter in Ohio. I have deer hunted the past three years and rabbit hunted a few times but never turkey hunted. I was sitting in my climber the other day attempting to hunt deer and I heard a stick break in the thickets about 15 yards from me. Then out popped a turkey, and another one, and another one, and another one….. I counted 14 turkeys walking in a line 15 yards from my stand and then stayed about ten yards behind me. I didn’t have a tag so I had to let them walk. I went out and bought a tag and a pot call and plan to go back out and try to get one. My questions are, is it ok to take a turkey from a tree stand? I looked on the ODNR website and the only thing it said was you can’t take a turkey that is in a tree, but am I allowed to be in a tree? My next question is, what are the chances that these turkey walk by me again? It is private land and a pretty small area. I have been in that same spot 5times now and this is my first time seeing them. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is possible that the turkeys will be around you again. However, calling an entire flock of turkeys, expecially in the fall generally will not happen, calls in the fall are generally used after breking up a flock to call assembly to try to get some to come back. Save your call for the spring. Since it appears you are not up on ther laws for hunting turkey I suggest you call your game dpartment and make sure the sporting arm you plan to use for deer is legal for turkey and if not, are you allowed to carry a firearm legal for turkey and a firearm that is legal for deer. If you must shoot a turkey with an expanding bullet from a high powered rifle you will just have a pile of feathers and if you shoot a turkey, you may ruin the only chance at a deer you will have for the season. As for me, when I am deer hunting, I do not consider shooting anything but deer, that way no regrets for making a lot of noise that is not necessary. Just some things to consider, remember, we don;t have to kill everything we see just because we can.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply. I am using a compound bow, it is legal for both turkey and deer. I have read everything on the ODNR website and it state nothing about being in a tree stand. I just had a buddy tell me it wasn’t allowed, but he might be mistaken. Contacting the game department is a good idea, I will do that. I am not out there shooting everything I can. I pass on squirrel, raccoon, opossum, rabbit ect all the time. I just really wanted to turkey hunt, but the same buddy said it was a waist of time in the fall and I will never see anything in a tree stand, so I didn’t buy a tag. Well he was wrong. I really don’t think my chances of taking a deer in my location are very good so why not a turkey. Either way it will be my first deer or turkey. So, if I dont call, should i just sit in the same spot and hope they walk by?
Old 11-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

When deer hunting I always carry a turkey call with me. When I hear or see turkeys I call to them and have always had them come over to check me out. I always hear that you can't call turkeys in when fall hunting don't believe it. It is tough to shoot a turkey from an elevated position though because they are always looking up.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about Ohio, but it's not legal to turkey hunt from a treestand with a gun here in Michigan. However, it is legal to do it with a bow.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:16 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone.

Is there a method to the way turkeys line up? is the lead bird in front or in the back or does it matter?

These are the only regulaitions listed on the website:

It is unlawful to take more than one turkey per day.

It is unlawful to hunt turkeys with the aid of bait. An area is considered baited for ten (10) days after complete removal of any bait.

It is unlawful to use a live decoy while hunting turkeys.

It is unlawful to possess or use electronic calling devices while hunting turkeys.

It is unlawful to take or attempt to take a wild turkey while it is in a tree.

It is lawful to aid or assist another hunter who is hunting turkey if the turkey permit has been filled out, as long as you do not carry any hunting device commonly used to kill wild animals and you have a valid hunting license. Those persons exempted from having a hunting license and turkey permit for turkey hunting on their property are required to have a hunting license and turkey permit to aid another hunter off of their property or to hunt turkey off their property.

Last edited by Gordonrs; 11-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know anywhere that has a fall season where you can't shoot a fall bird while archery hunting for deer, provided you have a turkey tag. LOTS of guys do this every year; they eat a lot of the same things, so can often be found in the same area. Why not take advantage of an opportunity to hunt 2 species at the same time? In my experience, calling in the fall might not bring in a whole flock, but might entice a stray bird, so really you have nothing to lose by cold calling, I just wouldn't get carried away, a couple yelps or kee-kees every 1/2 hour or so is all I would do. As far as their travel patterns, no clue there, they just do what ever they feel like doing, they are turkeys.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

They do often return to the same places. The hard part is getting ready and getting your bow drawn with 28 turkey eyes around you. I get a fall bird with my bow every once in awhile
Old 12-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys are known...

to visit hunters in tree stands in non-turkey season.
Old 12-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go ahead and try it. My archery season on the property adjacent to mine quickly turned a turkey hunt. Opening morning a flock came to my tree stand. I never seen wild turkeys here, or many places near my home, until this year.

I blew my first opportunity by pure surprise of seeing turkeys and lack of stealth on my part. 3 days later I harvested one from my treestand with a crossbow. It was a well planned and prepared shot taken at 10 yards with a flock all around me. Turkeys will bust you as easily in a tree stand as on the ground. Props to those who take turkeys with compound or recurve bows. I will clarify that having a height advantage does help with seeing them approach. I always have that moment in spring when turkeys appear too close before I can see/react to the situation, and in turn getting busted while sitting on the ground.

The only advantages of hunting from a tree stand would be visual awareness and hunting both deer and turkey on the same hunting trip. Both are good enough reasons.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.