Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Body shooting a gobbler

Old 06-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Body shooting a gobbler

Read this on another forum and it got all kinds of response from yes to never. To maybe to depends...

I shot one in the body on purpose in 2012... Me and a good buddy were planning on a double and my bird was strutting facing away and his was walking... 1'2'3 boom... I knew at 20 yards my gun would absolutely destroy that gobbler with a body shot and it did... We got our double and some memories for a life time... I blew the heck out of his tail fan but not one pellet in the breast...

So just curious how many guys that only. Kill one Wild Turkey a year if there lucky would let a bird pass because they wouldn't take a body shot...
Old 06-03-2014, 02:42 AM
Spike

The goal for me is to harvest a turkey. If that means I have to take a body shot and can do it without ruining the meat than I'll take the shot. The fan is nice to put on the wall but doesn't taste very good. I had one this year that I expected I would have to take a body shot at. I was stuck behind a blow down with no shot and the birds where moving away from me and up the ridge. I waited until I could see the quils on his fan and moved over the log and pulled up. It worked out as a hen saw me. He popped his head up and that was that. I figured I may have to take the same type of shot you mentioned. I would prefer not to but am not against it if I can get a quick kill and bring home the bird.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not a good idea unless it's at very very close range and I definitely wouldn't have taken that shot if his azz was towards me!
Old 06-03-2014, 03:56 AM
Fork Horn

I've done it a couple times, just because the bird was within 10 yards, and the pattern is pretty tight on my gun. Not a real good habit to get into though.

I do aim lower than most guys, I usually aim a little below the wattles, they just bob around too much for me to target their heads.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

never had to take anything other than shots with heads exposed. An occasional full strut frontal, but never just at body.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Not a good idea unless it's at very very close range and I definitely wouldn't have taken that shot if his azz was towards me!

Dude 20 yards with hevi shot lol come on man that will destroy any gobbler on this planet!!!

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 06-04-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Dude 20 yards with hevi shot lol come on man that will destroy any gobbler on this planet!!!
***Geez, I always thought we all went out to call a bird in for the fun of it to achieve a good, humane head shot and not to shoot him in the azz just because it can "destroy" him! You asked for opinions on a body shot, got some, and most were negative replies like mine! If you don't like my response, that's too dang bad because I don't shoot things in the azz and I would wager that a poll would show that the majority of experienced turkey hunters don't either. Hey, at least I left the word "unethical" out of my reply!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-04-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I suppose it could happen but I have never had a tom in range that I couldnt get a shot at his head. If it ever does it will walk free.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who decides what the perfect ethical shot is on a gobbler anyhow?

I think I know enough about guns and the animals I hunt to make the decision whether or not a shot is ethical or not...

I always love it when the all might ethical hunters come on a forum and start preaching what's right or wrong...
Old 06-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Who decides what the perfect ethical shot is on a gobbler anyhow?

I think I know enough about guns and the animals I hunt to make the decision whether or not a shot is ethical or not...

I always love it when the all might ethical hunters come on a forum and start preaching what's right or wrong...
***Dude, you asked the question and if you figured everyone was going to agree with you about body shooting and shooting them in the azz, then you live in a fairytale world, LOL! Take a hike and GET OVER IT, as we all know the truly good shot on a gobbler is in the head and neck!!! If you want to shoot them in the body, I would suggest you hunt in states that allow a rifle to be used. Then you can shoot them hundreds of yards away and get your kicks out of that! Since when is disagreeing with a post considered what you stated in your last sentence? Like I said earlier, if you didn't want answers that don't share your opinion, then don't come on and ask the question to begin with! Why don't you put up a poll and see how many respond that they would also shoot a gobbler in the azz?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-04-2014 at 12:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.