Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Body shooting a gobbler

Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can understand what you are saying Topgun 3006.. I know here with the turkey laws only requiring a full choke and a shot size of 4 threw 6 being the only requirements. It can make one wonder how many may have been wounded because of these basic requirements. I know my shotgun has only a full choke as well. But, the extra barrel length more than makes up for the extra full chokes and the like. So the pattern is very tight. I am also using the 3 inch Winchester Supreme #6 shot Max which delivers 1350 foot pounds out of it. But, the average shotgun does not deliver this type of pattern or range out of it. So yes, it is very important for the new turkey hunter that is limited on what they have to use for a turkey gun to be able to read this and hopefully understand what is being said here..

I am most likely stuck with just the front bead unless i get it tapped out for another sight to be mounted in which I do not have the desire to do with it..
Old 06-05-2014, 01:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
easiest solution is hold on the wattles thats what I've done for 30 years.

then put it away and get a shotgun you can hit them with
RR
There is no problem with hitting them on longer ranges that is what is was built for when using geese.. I have also tagged out the last 4 years.. Being able to understand how to use it is a big part of it.. Perhaps aiming at the waddles will help when shooting up at close ranges?? I always try to place it on top of the white on his head every time I get the chance to.. That works great out in the longer ranges so I also have nailed a few by lowering it to roughly where the beard comes out when shooting at a side shot only below his head and that has dropped a couple for me as well..
Old 06-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm late joining this topic but my take on it is that a body shot on an unwounded gobbler isn't very wise. If he was going away then he could still have been shot in the head and neck. If he wasn't spooked if the head and neck were hidden then a little patience would have been in order.

As to the public land vice private land comment the OP made, I agree with others that it makes absolutely no difference. A low percentage shot is a low percentage shot no matter where it is taken. As always, feel free to disagree.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
xOEDragon...

I gotta ask ya... How many turkeys have you killed on public land up there in garret co.?

Because I've killed about 30 of em off green ridge and I know for a fact green ridge get pounded way more than savage... So if your talking about your couple of green field private land gobblers save girl friend
None, because I haven't been here long enough to really hunt public land. But I consider this irrelevant, as hunting public or private land wouldn't make the least bit difference in how I go about shooting a turkey, or what I consider ethical. I've killed deer on public land before. I didn't shoot them in the face because I was just so excited to kill a deer. So public land or not, the game is all the same. Animals may not be as pressured on private land obviously, but I still don't consider that justification for ass shooting a bird on public land. Head shots really aren't that hard to strive for, a bird's head is almost always going up when it's on the lookout.

On a second note, I don't appreciate your aggression. Back to my original point, don't ask the question if you're going to cry when you don't like the answers. I've never disagreed with you that body shots just aren't an option. To the contrary, I mentioned they get the job done and I'm fine with the way you obtained your double. It's a personal matter that I'll never body shoot a turkey. So I find it unfortunate you strive to devalue my style of hunting simply because I've been blessed with permission to hunt a piece of private land, treating it as an excuse for methods, and acting like I'm high strung and only head shoot birds because I have so many to pick from and they're so easy to hunt so I can just wait out perfect head shots every time.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I debated on commenting on this post or not but here goes. First off, I've never taken a body shot, and I've never really considered it, I've also never been in a situation where I would've needed to. I guess the closest I have come to a body shot was fall hunting and shooting one out of the air, but he was taking off slow and I knew I was on his head, so that was a clean head shot. There are situations when you could undoubtedly kill one with a body shot if you had no other choice. I think extreme close ranges are a must though. I watched a guy shoot low and back and body shoot one by accident at 30 yards once. The bird rolled and then flew off and we never found him. I personally dont see myself ever taking the chance. But I will not put somebody down or question a turkey hunters ethics or skill if they were to tell me about a 10 yard texas heart shot, that they knew would be deadly. Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is No One here that will ever stand as high as " Mr. Public Land Longbead" He has found the sport so easy that he has narrowed it down to body shots to change the challenge of doing the sport in a ethical manner. Mr. Longbeard has had this self ego trip of degrading others that hunt lands other then maybe public land.

Really who gives a hoot ? wHo cooks for yoU , wHo cooks for you aLL !

This has got old and most here needs to know that he will always toss up this Public land thing everytime he is called out! But he very well knows I can keep up with his ass No Problem

Sorry to see youns walk !
Old 09-20-2014, 10:02 PM
Spike

I remember reading a Ben Lee book, in which he said within a certain close range, he would body shoot a turkey. I've never done it, and the closest I've shot a turkey with a shotgun is probably 3 feet from the end of the barrel.