Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Reaping

Old 05-29-2014, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey Reaping

Seen all I could stand of this

http://www.turkey-talk.com/tblog/?p=126
Old 05-29-2014, 08:44 AM
Typical Buck

In his senerio he talks about shooting a bird coming up over a rise where he can only see a third of it and cant possibly see beyond his target then later complains about someone popping up and shooting a bird where the shooter cant possibly know whats beyond his target? Not sure what I think of this practice of sneaking up on turkeys yet but sounds like hes playing both sides of the fence.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by grinder67
In his senerio he talks about shooting a bird coming up over a rise where he can only see a third of it and cant possibly see beyond his target then later complains about someone popping up and shooting a bird where the shooter cant possibly know whats beyond his target? Not sure what I think of this practice of sneaking up on turkeys yet but sounds like hes playing both sides of the fence.

not at all, two wrongs don't make a right
Old 05-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mookyj
not at all, two wrongs don't make a right
I dont understand what you mean by two wrongs dont make a right, that is true but unless I read it wrong he is basically saying the equivalent of hunting deer from a tree stand should be illegal because you may get shot by a squirrel hunter. I dont disagree with his point I just dont understand the way he tries to make his argument.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Fork Horn

grinder67- you might need to reread it, this is a calling out of safety concerns of stalking and how it goes from bad to worse using gobbler decoys,and worse yet, taxidermy/ultra realistic gobbler decoys. Do you really want some one pointing a gun at you and having to decide if you're wearing a decoy hat/gun mount decoy or have a decoy placed out or the real thing. If someone is eyeballing your deke, and decides to snap shoot, it is another set of bad decisions.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seemed pretty straight forward to me! Stalking a gobbler, especially like they are showing on these TV shows by crawling behind a turkey fan, may work, but it's just plain stupid unless you have a huge piece of private property where you can be assured that you are the only one around. Doing it on public land would surely invite disaster!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Seemed pretty straight forward to me! Stalking a gobbler, especially like they are showing on these TV shows by crawling behind a turkey fan, may work, but it's just plain stupid unless you have a huge piece of private property where you can be assured that you are the only one around. Doing it on public land would surely invite disaster!
Totally agree. It is dangerous and I dont do it. In his story he talks about shooting at a turkey (or anything else for that matter) that is just cresting a ridge because hes not going to let this one get away. As for as i know this is against gun safety 101 and is just as dangerous as sneeking up on a gobbler. And as stated before there is no animal in this world worth shooting another hunter over.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

The author is not condoning shooting at the bird cresting the hill, he is being critical of doing that.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
The author is not condoning shooting at the bird cresting the hill, he is being critical of doing that.
***Yep, I don't know how the other member(s) got what they stated because the entire article is written from the writer's perspective that doing such or stalking/creeping up on a turkey are all asking for an accident to happen, which is true on anything other than a tightly controlled piece of private property. I don't think he should use the word "unethical" though just because it's a different way of hunting a turkey under controlled, safe conditions like I mentioned. In fact, I bet it would be a real hoot to deke a mature Tom into charging you or sneaking right up on him when there is no other way to get close. Nevertheless, I'll stay with calling and if I can't get one within range there is always another day to give it the old college try!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-30-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rule #4 Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

This is one sport where safety is paramount !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.