HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   It has been a great season for me.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/391861-has-been-great-season-me.html)

Phil from Maine 05-21-2014 03:21 PM

It has been a great season for me..

Hi all, This season has been a great one for me.. The very first day I was able to tag a nice tom. The second day I was able to watch a couple of deer feeding from my blind while trying to call in a turkey. Then after calling from my blind I had a big tom come into around 40 yards and he froze up on me. I decided to try and get him.. I blew it with a complete miss.. I shot to high I figured. I did see this tom the next day as he ran and flew off on me. So I was glad he was ok..

During the season I was able to see several deer, hawks, and moose.. But i also had very few gobbles from the toms. I did get to see a decent amount of toms to boot along with only 3 jakes.. I passed up on those jakes and then this week was debating on trying to get one of those.. That all changed this morning when I was blessed with the chance at another decent tom.. Now that I am tagged out I wish others out there success as well.

This year I had my 2 first.. Just this past Monday I had 3 moose walk by at around 10 feet of my blind.. That was very neat to have happened. Then I was able to get 2 decent toms which is a first as well. I have tagged out now for 4 years in a row! This time I had no jakes and never even saw another bearded hen.. So this year I concider myself blessed enjoying my time out in the great outdoors! Now it is time for fishing to take place.. Good luck everyone and enjoy your time out in the great outdoors we all enjoy!

jepcho 05-21-2014 04:07 PM

I'm happy for ya Phil! You're a good dude and it makes me happy when my friends have a good season. I too had a really good season! Congrats again!

nchawkeye 05-21-2014 05:35 PM

That is what makes turkey hunting so great, learning and experiencing different ways to hunt them...

And then a bird comes along that breaks the mold and you lay awake at night trying to figure out how to bring him in...

It's great!!! :)

Phil from Maine 05-21-2014 06:38 PM

Thanks guys..

It is great to be able to get just one of them even! those birds are smart and pretty wise.. But, they get like an old buck during rut and mess up from time to time..

swampbuster 05-22-2014 05:25 AM

Glad you had a great year Phil!!

w123t 05-22-2014 02:22 PM

Phil,

Congrats ,sounds like a banner year to me. I took most of
the middle of the season off to catch up on work. I'll be
out several times next week to try for a second bird.

jalvja 05-22-2014 03:21 PM

You had a great season Phil.Congrats

Timbrhuntr 05-22-2014 03:52 PM

Congrats on the awesome season !!

Phil from Maine 05-22-2014 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by w123t (Post 4140845)
Phil,

Congrats ,sounds like a banner year to me. I took most of
the middle of the season off to catch up on work. I'll be
out several times next week to try for a second bird.

Yes it was and thanks! And good luck at getting your second tag filled. I have found that less people were hunting birds up here after those first couple of weeks. But, the birds were call shy and nothing really gobbled very well for me.

Phil from Maine 05-22-2014 04:26 PM

Thank you everyone! I had hunted hard to try and make it happen.. I have enjoyed every day of it as well..