Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Short barrel turkey hunting >

Short barrel turkey hunting

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Short barrel turkey hunting

Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 PM
Spike

Default Short barrel turkey hunting

Hello all, I am pretty new to turkey hunting and all I have is a short 12GA (and by short I mean 19" barrel) and #5 shot. I was curious if you all thought this would be sufficient for spring gobbler season because I do not think I will have the money to pick up a new shotty this season. The main reason I don't think it would work well is because it also does not have a choke.

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

What do you mean by it doesn't have a choke? Was the barrel longer and enough cut off so that it it literally a "scatter gun"? If it won't hold a tight pattern to humanely kill a turkey even at real short yardage, then please don't go turkey hunting with it and risk wounding a bird!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Spike

Yes, it was a barrel that was at one point shortened so it doesn't have any form of choke installed. Which is basically my question, would the pattern spread too much to properly kill a turkey? I ask because to your point I wouldn't want to inhumanely butcher a turkey and cause it to suffer
Old 05-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not worth a squat for turkeys... Prob be ok for a home defense "shotty"
Old 05-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Not worth a squat for turkeys... Prob be ok for a home defense "shotty"
Ditto x 2!
Old 05-11-2014, 04:07 PM
Spike

What gun is it? I ask because if it's one of a certain few you can actually buy a new barrel for it less than a new gun. I have a Remington 870, and I found a 20" smooth bore barrel with screw-in turkey choke and rifle sites for a little less than $200. Depending on what gun you have, you might check into that.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 AM
Spike

It's an old Winchester 120, it's not worth really anything and getting a new barrel or a choke would honestly be more than I paid for the gun as a whole so it's in my best interest to just pony up and buy a new one.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bmmsmith52
It's an old Winchester 120, it's not worth really anything and getting a new barrel or a choke would honestly be more than I paid for the gun as a whole so it's in my best interest to just pony up and buy a new one.

Yes sir that's a big 10-4
Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Spike

You can use it for turkeys. Club them with it. Or limit your shots to 15 yards, no more.