HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   They are showning no interest? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/391503-they-showning-no-interest.html)

neb 05-07-2014 05:17 PM

They are showning no interest?

Like I have mentioned before this has been an awful strange year how these turkeys are acting. They aren't interested when calling and seem to not even want to puff out when calling and no gobbling.

Tonight I had them 100 yards behind the blind so I didn't bother to try to get to close so I wouldn't bust them. I di get in close and did very little calling and them Toms wouldn't even strut and seemed not to pay much attention to the calls.

Anyone have any answers or suggestions what is going on. Thanks

livcoop 05-07-2014 06:23 PM

I have had some good reactions to very light clucking and have used a purr with a mouth call this year. I had a big bird during youth weekend that would only respond to a purr. Everything else he didn't really care much about. If I purred he cut me off.

RemMod1100 05-08-2014 07:27 PM

Plus 1 on using purrs. We hunt NE Neb and between my 2 boys, nephew, and me, we've harvested 3 jakes and 2 toms. Every bird was finished using purrs on a glass pot. I have a Quaker Boy box call that I think makes sounds made in heaven and hasn't even gotten a gobble this year.

xOEDragonx 05-09-2014 05:43 AM

I've been using a variety of calls this season, and they've almost all gone ignored. The birds would look my way and then just shrug me off. Twice though, I ended up being successful with 7-8 quiet clucks right after flydown. A couple quiet clucks, they'd look my way, I'd go completely silent, and then they came in. Loud yelping and cutting has done nothing for me this year, much to my surprise. I even broke out a gobble call one day just to see what would happen and the hens came, but the strutters were no where to be found.

neb 05-09-2014 12:47 PM

Thanks guys. I have been out a few more times and the same old thing. LOL I can see these birds and they just stick right with those hens like glue. I have hunted it all times of the day and just can't get one to come in. I did have my chance and blow it early on. I will keep at it till the end.

swampbuster 05-10-2014 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by neb (Post 4139092)
Thanks guys. I have been out a few more times and the same old thing. LOL I can see these birds and they just stick right with those hens like glue. I have hunted it all times of the day and just can't get one to come in. I did have my chance and blow it early on. I will keep at it till the end.

Neb when does your season end? Keep in mind that spring is very late this year. This year has a lot of us scratching our heads, but hang in there

Phil from Maine 05-10-2014 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4139169)
Neb when does your season end? Keep in mind that spring is very late this year. This year has a lot of us scratching our heads, but hang in there

I agree with this statement.. The birds are not acting like they should at all. Also I am thinking the birds had it hard this past winter so the numbers maybe down some what as well. I have seen nothing in the line of jakes up here while out hunting. I blew it when I had one come into me from around 400 yards and freeze up at 40 yards. I should of had him and he came in without making any gobbles at all. But, that is why they call it hunting instead of shopping.. Good Luck to you..

w123t 05-10-2014 02:09 PM

It's been tough hunting in mid coast Maine as well, The
Tom I got last Monday was a result of getting ahead
of where they were going and a couple quiet yelps
and the 4 hens came to visit dragging the Tom
along. Numbers are definitely down.

neb 05-10-2014 02:13 PM

You guys are spot on!!! We had a very very late spring and still having frost on some mornings. I know I'm close but may run out of time our season end next weekend. This morning I got out a little late but some years this works as well as being there at sun up. Any way they where about 1/4 mile away in a field. I did very little calling and all they would do is fan up. They where with hens. I stayed bout 2 hours and the toms stayed out there just fanned out and no gobbling. The other thing I left the decoys set up the night before and they where broken down to the ground. They where there early or where there before they roasted. Tracks where there so they knocked down the decoys. LOL

jmedenf 05-12-2014 10:49 AM

The birds I've been after have been with hens the whole time until last week when we got into the 80s, then they all shut up and barely seen them. I think the heat shut them all down. One more weekend to go, then I'll eat my final tag with some fried turkey nuggets.