Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mountain lion

Old 04-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

at close range a load of 4's is a lot more impressive than a slug, at less than 10 yards will blow a hole through him you could throw a live cat through, it'll be fine.
RR
Old 04-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

it was a tough position to be in...i didnt see him until he was 40 yds away. at that point i didnt know what to do, i fiured if i shot and missed or just wounded him and made him mad then i would be screwed. because im just usin a single shot. and then when he got to 20 yds i was terrified. he stoped walking and stared at me for about 10 seconds. i figured he was ready to pounce. thankfully he went the other way
Old 04-23-2014, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by buckman11
it was a tough position to be in...i didnt see him until he was 40 yds away. at that point i didnt know what to do, i fiured if i shot and missed or just wounded him and made him mad then i would be screwed. because im just usin a single shot. and then when he got to 20 yds i was terrified. he stoped walking and stared at me for about 10 seconds. i figured he was ready to pounce. thankfully he went the other way
I don't really care what the rules are, if I insisted on hunting with a single shot in known cat territory then I'd carry at least a .45 as well! Under such a situation, a single shot is ALOT like the old cap&ball Colt... "It'll get u into trouble but it can't get u out!"
Old 04-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

I would not worry to much about them. This time of year I use a turkey and rabbit and have bears and Mt lions come in frequently while hunting coyote. Chances are that cat never saw you because if he did you would of never saw him.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

May I suggest that you shelve that single shot for a pump or a semi auto; along with some back-up slug or #4 buckshot rounds in your pocket. Do you think that the lion might have been stalking the source of your turkey calling? Did the lion catch your scent?
That's one hunting story I'll never forget.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default lions

this is a bunch of b.s. you are far more likely to get hit by lightning that have trouble with a lion. in fact you are lucky to get to your hunting site in your vehicle than have trouble with a lion. yes you can kill a lion with just about anything, they just ain't gonna eat ya

cheers
Old 04-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by 14 ga
this is a bunch of b.s. you are far more likely to get hit by lightning that have trouble with a lion. in fact you are lucky to get to your hunting site in your vehicle than have trouble with a lion. yes you can kill a lion with just about anything, they just ain't gonna eat ya

cheers
Where did you get your Statistics from? If hungry enough a wild animal will eat anything.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

4 shot will kill cougar just fine under normal conditions however if one was to pack something in the flavor of buck shot or slugs that would make me feel better..as to where to shoot the lion..the head is always good but ike another poster said any where you can put the beed..hope this helps