Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mountain lion

Old 04-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default mountain lion

well I had a mountain lion creep up to 20 yds of me this morning while turkey huntin. so now im a little concerned. so my question is will a 12 gauge w/ 3" 4 shot kill a mountain lion.

thanks for your help
Old 04-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

Bet it would, if not would make him think twice before creeping up again. But wait the MDC says we don't have very many in MO. Yea right. Kill em
Old 04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

that's the second one weve seen on this property. the first one was a couple hundred yards away. but 20 yards is way to close for comfort

Last edited by buckman11; 04-22-2014 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Typical Buck

We have them in SE Mo too. But trying to convince the MDC they're here is a different story. I would make sure I didn't have any more!!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would not want one sneaking up on me either !! I am glad they tell us we do not have any here as well.. Even though now they have admitted to the fact there has been to many sightings to say there is none..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-23-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

Ya supposedly we don't have any breeding pairs in Mo, but I got a buddy that has little lions on a trail cam. Same here too many people seeing them now to ignore.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

That makes me think twice before walking around in the dark. I do t know what turkey load would do to a large cat
Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM
Typical Buck

WOW that's disturbing news! Usually when a top predator like a fully grown Mtn. Lion stalks you, you don't know it until it's ON you like a fuzz covered buzz saw! Sure glad you saw it, I bet those memories will be around awhile!

From 1985-2006 I hunted around Mtn. View, MO but never saw any cats around there. (Other than THE largest tom bobcat I've EVER seen in my life!) But I understand now there are several confirmed pics and encounters with cougars in those counties now. I can see how sitting quietly under a tree, motionless in camo while mimicking a turkey would be like a baited hook for a big cat!

As for your question, I doubt a single 20yd shot would kill a big Tom but I bet it'd change his mind about continuing his attack. If he was facing you then likely he'd at the least be blinded. Inside of 10yds yeah I bet a head shot WOULD likely kill him, if not instantly then damage such as blindness and maybe a broken jaw would likely take that much out of his arsenal. Add in your 2 remaining shots and I seriously doubt that ol Tom would still be hellbent on rearranging your anatomy! If you EVER have another encounter and DO have to shoot then DON'T shoot for the body, make sure and go for the head. (Assuming he's stalking/stationary, if he's on a full run and about to take a hunk out of you then obviously you put the lead in him wherever it'll land!)
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the puma is close enough...how close is a good question --- #4 shot should do the trick --- since it's a good home defense load; but multiple shots might be required.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your a lucky fellow !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.