Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
need gobblers to come across road! >

need gobblers to come across road!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

need gobblers to come across road!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default need gobblers to come across road!

Our season doesnt start until may 1 here in ny, but many mornings now i see a bunch of gobblers across the road from where i hunt. Its a fairly busy road and im not sure they will come across. Now heres the kicker, yesterday i saw an absolute monster gobbler 40 yards off the road. The day before i found tracks on my side of the road, biggest turkey tracks ive ever seen. Im hoping and wondering if its his tracks. Problem is i dont know when they were on my side of the road. Cant put trail cams up. If may 1 comes and they are across the road in the morning, how would you try an coax them across to my side?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is there no way you can get permission to hunt the other side of the road where you're seeing birds? Short of that calling is about it and hoping you are good enough to draw them over.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

Tried for years to get permission with zero luck. Guess ill just hope i can get em to cross!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

If you can catch a lone gobbler accross the road that will answer your calls he will most likely cross the road. Only call and make him gobble a couple times until your sure hes answering you then go silent. Only make very soft calls every 4-5 times he gobbles. If he still wont come change locations and get him to answer you again if you can, then dont call at all. If you can see him while doing this it will help as you can tell what he is doing and will aid in keeping you patient. When he does start your way let him come, dont call unless you can see that he has obviosly lost intrest. There is a chance that some of these birds could be roosting on your side of the road,if this is this case try and position yourself between them and the road real early, wait till flydown make a few soft calls and wait. Hope this helps good luck
Old 04-16-2014, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Im almost positive they are roosting on the the side i see them on. Could be wrong and tomorow morning im going out early to listen. Worst part is its a busy road and not sure if they will venture across. Funny part about this spot is ive never taken a bird before 930am here lol. Wondering if eventually they come across and thats why im seeing the tracks and why ive harvested birds later in the morning.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Why can't you put a trail camera up?
Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

Its private land,but power lines run thru it and people seem to think posted means free place to walk around and camp on ha! Had a ground blind stolen from there two years ago
Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

We all like the easy ones but troubling situations like this is why I keep going back. Enjoy the challenge, adapt to the situation and be patient. Maybe it will work out
Old 04-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even if they are roosting on the other side of the road, if you are the first hen that they hear in the morning, they may pitch down to your side of the road. Good luck. If they do pitch down to the other side of the road, it's gonna be tough.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

While this is surely no help to you.. I was on my way home from work last year and a friend was hunting a private area ( that is open to the public ) and right across the road was a big tom walking threw a large opening.. I laughed and told him about it later on when I saw him.. You just never know what they are going to do.. But if he wants to cross the road bad enough he will fly over to you..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.