Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I can't close the distance. >

I can't close the distance.

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I can't close the distance.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default I can't close the distance.

I have been turkey hunting in the Texas Hill country. The area I am hunting is thick cedar and open rock creekbed. I have a gobbler calling back to me up until I get I think 40 yards away since I am unable to see more than 20 yards. then he stops calling. and won't come into view. Does anyone have any ideas for me?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

If he hears/sees you, he's not going to keep gobbling for you. If you're running and gunning, it's like any other spot and stalk hunt. You have to sneak up on them without the animal/bird knowing you're there. If you want to call them to you, having a decoy or 2 and being camoed out helps a lot. Are there any clear cuts or meadows where you could get a little range to work with?
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you, I will use your advice. The only clear cuts are on a high line area on the north end. I could try and set up there and see if he will come to me.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

It can get tricky. I hunted Sat/Sun on a buddy's cattle ranch here in CA. Perfect weather and at least 7-8 toms gobbling before sunset in different parts of the ranch. We tried till about noon on the first day to get them to respond to calls and decoys with no luck.

We tried calling again on the 2nd day till about 9:30ish with no luck so switched to plan B (run and gun). We located some birds at the top of a pasture hill next to a large patch of oak and brush. They can be hard to sneak up on (stalk) when the terrain is open with only a few large oak trees as your cover is limited to those oak trees. One of the toms was strutting but flew away when I was still out of range. I got to about 45-50 yards behind the closest oak tree and was able to get one of them.

I'm not saying either way is right all the time or in your particular area. Running and gunning sometimes flushes birds when they're too far away or keeps them moving out of your sight in heavy brush. Sometimes calling works well and it's definitely fun to gobble or hen call back and forth with a big tom. Just saying you may have to switch tactics if what you're trying isn't working that day.

Something else I forgot about is the use of a shock call, an owl or crow. Sometimes the toms respond (gobble) to that and it can help you locate them. Hopefully some, any or all of this helps. Good luck and let everybody know how it works for you.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some of my hunting consists of cuttings and getting to where they are holding up at can be difficult to say the least. I will find a skidder road or an old logging road to set up in around 200 yards of where they are. I tend to stay back from the clear cuts some what. Because if they are in the opening they will either hear you or see you coming. I will try a call before setting up to see if any answers it. If one does I set up and go no farther. Once set up and I am in a spot that gives me the cover I will try another call. Then I stay put and wait it out for a while. Around 20 minutes later I will try another call and wait. Even if the tom gobbles back just stay and wait there. Do not keep calling to him or he will go another direction. Most of my birds I have shot has been between 9:30 and 11:00. I am thinking it is because they are moving around a again looking for more hens??

I hope this helps. Also I want to add that my biggest bird last year never answered a single call. 2 Toms showed up with 3 hens and I had heard nothing at all. They just showed up and while I was trying to see which tom was the biggest one of them looked straight at me.. Needless to say I thought he may have seen me so I took him out with out any waiting to see if the other one was bigger or not.. Good Luck getting a Tom and remember to stay safe and enjoy the hunt..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-16-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

One thing you might try is to call and once you get
A response move 20 yards closer to set up quickly
And then just sit quietly waiting. This is assuming
The Tom is far enough away when he gobbles
That you can move the twenty yards without
Him hearing or seeing you. Hunting Turkeys
In an area where the visibility is so limited
Is very tough. Good luck!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:00 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you all, the advice is great.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he gobbles 40 yards away --- then stops gobbling --- and doesn't gobble going away from you...he's been led away by hen/hen's, hung-up by a possible obstacle, spooked by you or somebody else --- or he'll be coming in to investigate the source of you're calling. I would silence your own calling at that moment.

He will possibly not make another gobble that close {40 yards} --- but unless he's suspicious --- he'll be strutting and spit drumming. Listen for the "tick {spit}-barroom {drum}" of his drumming. You might make him jealous by doing a tick-barroom sound with your mouth and vocal cords.

Goggle: Turkey drumming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3ryF-529Sc

Last edited by Erno86; 04-17-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: added text
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

when he gets close, call very very low, and very very sparingly, reach down and rake the leaves with your hand like a hen scratching, make sure he can't see your movement.
RR
Old 04-17-2014, 05:09 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
when he gets close, call very very low, and very very sparingly, reach down and rake the leaves with your hand like a hen scratching, make sure he can't see your movement.
RR

Ridge Runner hit right on the head as that is what I was going to add.......now a hen scratches by reacing one leg out and pulling it back toward her followed by the opposite leg reaching out and scratching back twice.....so the sequence is "Scratch ~ very short pause ~ Scratch - Scratch......Practice that and don't forget it.....it can be more deadly than using a call.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.