Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey roosting areas

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey roosting areas

I've been scouting my hunting property to no avail. Can you guys give me some pointers on where to look. I have a trail cam set up at one spot i was looking to hunt and I've seen nothing but Deer no turkey.

The property is heavily wooded with a stream on the property.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Where i hunt they seem to love to roost near water. Tall tall trees and sometimes even pines. I was out scouting the other day and they seem to have taken a liking to some big trees in a swamp. Keep your eyes peeled for poop and feathers below the trees, seems to help me!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what your area looks like but as mentioned tall trees around some water has been pretty good spots for me. Actually about two years ago was deer hunting near a swamp and had about a dozen come off of roost flying right at me. All I can say is not very graceful in making a retreat.

Tall Pines or cypress trees.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

I have no idea whether they prefer hardwoods or pines, because I have encountered them in both. I think the most important thing is very tall trees with limbs that can support their weight. I have seen the most in these type trees along creek bottoms or on ridges adjacent to fields or food plots. If you can find these type areas, maybe start walking around under them and look for turkey poop and feathers. Lastly, get there early (before daylight) and just listen. That's the most surefire way to pinpoint their roosts.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Have you parked nearby about a half hour before sunrise and just listened with the window rolled down. If it's mating season, you should hear some toms gobbling. That might help you get a better idea of where the birds are at least in the early morning. also, have you seen any tracks or other sign in any soft muddy areas by the stream?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Where I hunt they mostly roost in pines.. I have seen them roosting in Hemlock and aspen trees before though. Sorry I am not much help but that is where I have found them roosting..
Old 04-14-2014, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the input. I'm going to walk the creek this Saturday and some tall oaks and see whats I find.

Thanks again
Old 04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

First thing in the morning they "need" to drink; so either on a stream or near a pond.

Also remember they "need" to be able to fly up and down from their roost tree; so open limbs and an opening in which to fly up and down from.

Best bet is to be in the area at dawn and dusk to listen for gobbles, hen assemble calls, if silent - wing beats..................

Find them late in the afternoon, as they will always led you back to their roost tree before dusk/dark !

Just before first light and just after dark you can also use locator calls; crow or owl - usually, the Toms will respond to those calls.

Just don't disturb them too much, and when you think you have them "patterned" set-up a long their path about 150 yards away !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-14-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 AM
Typical Buck

Turkeys like to roost near water, I'd check along and near the creek, up gullies, s. and e. facing slopes. Get high and listen at dark or before light if they are there you should hear them. If pos. get between them and the water or strut area before light.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrl0004
I have no idea whether they prefer hardwoods or pines, because I have encountered them in both. I think the most important thing is very tall trees with limbs that can support their weight. I have seen the most in these type trees along creek bottoms or on ridges adjacent to fields or food plots. If you can find these type areas, maybe start walking around under them and look for turkey poop and feathers. Lastly, get there early (before daylight) and just listen. That's the most surefire way to pinpoint their roosts.
What everyone else has said. This is just about word for word what I was going to say. The easiest way to find where they are roosting is to get out there and listen.