Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
what is best for you early season or later? >

what is best for you early season or later?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what is best for you early season or later?

Old 04-13-2014, 06:21 AM
neb
Typical Buck

Default what is best for you early season or later?

What do you think is better for sucess . do you have better luck in the early part or later part of spring turkey hunting and why?
Old 04-13-2014, 06:56 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Early is easier IMO. I like ot hunt when all the dumb ones have been shot!

Just kidding. But I do hunt right up to the end of season as I still find better birds and less hunters.

The other reason is I can get more kill tags as everyone wants early season. Well this yr you will contend with snow. Not me.

JW
Old 04-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

I like early but when you find a hot tom
latter in the season it can be a fun hunt.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I actually have the best luck during our second week of the season.. But, now with our new law allowing a full days hunt it is a wait and see approach.. I am thinking this year the first week will be great hunting as our snow will be mostly gone by then.. ( I am hoping ) But, the mud maybe something else to deal with as I travel the old dirt roads to get to where I normally hunt..
Old 04-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I kill a lot of birds at the end of the season, and there is less hunting pressure. I will not even go to PA anymore until the last week of their season and I've been 100% for 5 years now...
Old 04-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'm in CA and generally hear more toms gobbling and trying to mate in the beginning of our season (starts last Saturday in March and goes for 37 days into the beginning of May) than the end. In "general" in CA, turkeys have finished mating before the end of the season (at least in my hunting areas) so the last half of the season is not usually as productive. I've never hunted turkeys in Montana so don't know if the turkeys behave similarly up there or not. Hopefully this helps some.

In my hunting area in N. CA this morning, there were numerous toms gobbling at sunrise. My buddy and I even saw 1 tom strutting for some hens but none were coming to calls or decoys. So my buddy and I switched tactics to running and gunning and I got one. Woohoo!!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:00 PM
neb
Typical Buck

It has been a mixed bag for when I think about it. Our season is 5 weeks and have taken birds through out the season. I do believe it does get harder as the season goes on. Nothing worked for me this weekend opener. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:59 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I usually have better luck later in the season. The birds are not grouped up and hens are leaving the boys to set. It's easier to strike a bird later in the day and have a good chance he'll be alone and will work (always nice after the bird on the limb you setup on went the other way). Our birds are usually henned up and harder to hunt early. All that being said, I shot my share on opening day as well as the last.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 AM
Spike

During end of the season is the nice choice to do hunting because you find lot of birds and animals to do hunting. And it increases the possibility to hit right at the target. I also go for hunting during end of the seasons and get good result.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Mixed bag for me as well. Ive taken them the first day, as well as the last. Timewise...90% of my birds ha e been taken after 9am. We can only hunt until 12 in new york and ive gotten quite a few at a certain spot around 1130.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.