Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey? >

Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?

Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?

So I bought a box of Remington game loads 12 gauge #6 shot 1 ounce. I bought them for porcupines and raccoons, but Today I was patterning my BPS so I figured I would try them.They by far patterned the best. Should I use them for turkeys or use the next best patterning shell?

These are the shells
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593...shot-box-of-25

Should I use them?
would they do the same as marketed turkey loads?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would not use a low base shell like that because it has a lot less shot in it and it just doesn't pack the punch that it takes to properly kill a longbeard. Find a good high base turkey load designed for the job at hand that patterns well in your gun.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uh yea I'm sure it would but it's not the ethical thing to do...

Were are the real turkey hunters at these days?
Old 04-09-2014, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be like going deer hunting with a .22. It could work, but the chances of failure are high and wounding birds even higher. There's a reason hunters use turkey loads. Invest in some.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wingbone
It would be like going deer hunting with a .22. It could work, but the chances of failure are high and wounding birds even higher. There's a reason hunters use turkey loads. Invest in some.
I have some real turkey loads, but the game loads patterned way better. Everyone says use the load that patterns best in your gun, and that's the game loads. But I'll use the nitro turkeys that I planned on using anyways.

I was going to have my 10 year old nephew use these loads, because there's almost no recoil. I'll just give him the 20 gauge.

Thanks for all the help anyways.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default not that bad an idea - IF!!!!

You would be shooting 6's at about the same velocity as any turkey load. If you keep the range short to where you have a dense pattern in the head area, you are better off than 3 1/2'' 6's at a longer range because at long range you would loose energy. Again, at short range, you will have a dense pattern, the necessary velocity and energy to kill a turkey. Did I mention short range?
As far as the 20g goes, fine, but remember an ounce of 6's @ 1260 fps is the same if it is shot from a 20g or a 12g.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Yup. The reason is they want to be able to kill a bird at long range. Your comparison is the old apples and oranges thing.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2eagles
Yup. The reason is they want to be able to kill a bird at long range. Your comparison is the old apples and oranges thing.
***That's absolute hogwash! We don't want to kill a bird at long range. We want to use the proper equipment to kill the bird humanely at a range most consider proper and that is out to about 40 yards or a little better. A low base shell might do the job at 20 yards, but the problem is that many people would then stretch that yardage out if the bird hangs up and then you have the perfect scenario of a wounded and lost bird. Please listen to people that have been at this turkey killing thing longer than some members here are old! A low base shell designed for squirrels and rabbits IS NOT a turkey load!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-09-2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

Welllll wait a minute now... While these are "low brass" loads they are by no means "weak or slow"! They are advertised at 1290fps, that's faster than most 3" & 3.5" HEAVY turkey loads! Look also at pellet count, in an ounce of #6s there are typically around 225 pellets (+/- 10). Power & penetration aside, to get that many pellets in a #5 load you'd have to move up to nearly 1.38oz. In #4 loads you'd have to go all the way up to 1.75oz. NOBODY would say those 2 loads aren't enough pellets (& mojo) to knock a tom off his rocker!

If a turkey is hit in the head & neck with more than half a dozen #6s it's LIGHTS OUT for him & it doesn't matter if those 6 pellets started out with 1oz of his buddies or 2+oz, DEAD IS DEAD! Now sure, adding more pellets "should make" for surer hits at further distances but if the OP realizes he AINT toting a 50+yd load & keeps his shots inside a safe range (as determined by his patterning results) then there is no reason to think a Tom is going to laugh & run away after getting a snoot full of 6s inside of 40yds regardless of whether they were from a 2.5oz 10ga or a .5oz .410!

This argument is kin to saying a 150grn bullet from a 300mag is fine but 150grn bullets from a 30/30 AINT! It's all about perspective & knowing ones limitations... As the man said, "A mans GOT to know his limitations!"

Last edited by HatchieLuvr; 04-09-2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would check your game laws to make sure if it is legal or not.. Here you can not use anything other than turkey loads. Lead shot would be illegal if you are caught hunting for turkeys with it.. Personally there is no way I would be using low brass shells on turkey anyways..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.