Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey? >

Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Remington 1 ounce game loads for turkey?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
A low base shell might do the job at 20 yards, but the problem is that many people would then stretch that yardage out if the bird hangs up and then you have the perfect scenario of a wounded and lost bird.
You don't realize you are agreeing with me when you say it will work at 20 yards. Read carefully I wrote - "If you keep the range short to where you have a dense pattern in the head area". You're living in a dream world if you think shooters of 3 1/2" 2 oz loads don't stretch the range to 60 or 70 yards and sometimes cripple a bird.
And I don't care if you have 2000+ posts and I only a few. I shot my first pheasants @ 10 years old over 50 years ago. I have shot enough game with rifle and shotgun, big game and small from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and read enough and studied enough to know what a gun can do. Go back to school, boy!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

First, I'll say I'm a big advocate of using appropriate
Turkey loads that pattern well from the particular
shotgun you are using. Somewhere there is a
Turkey load that will pattern well in that shotgun.

However, I do have to say that Phil needs to go
back to the Maine law book, while lead shot is
prohibited for hunting migratory waterfowl
there is nothing preventing someone from using
lead shot in Maine while hunting Turkeys. The
only restriction is on shot size 4's to 6's or
4's to 7's with a mixed load.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2eagles
You don't realize you are agreeing with me when you say it will work at 20 yards. Read carefully I wrote - "If you keep the range short to where you have a dense pattern in the head area". You're living in a dream world if you think shooters of 3 1/2" 2 oz loads don't stretch the range to 60 or 70 yards and sometimes cripple a bird.
And I don't care if you have 2000+ posts and I only a few. I shot my first pheasants @ 10 years old over 50 years ago. I have shot enough game with rifle and shotgun, big game and small from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and read enough and studied enough to know what a gun can do. Go back to school, boy!
***Whoa there big fella! Did I post your name up slamming you in anything I said or say anything about my number of posts compared to yours? Nope, sure didn't! The OP asked if those loads would do the same as a turkey load in case you didn't read the last couple lines of his post. The simple and correct answer the majority of us are giving him is NO! The OP is also talking about letting a 10 year old kid use them that obviously has not been in the field much, if at all. If the loads were designed for turkey hunting they wouldn't be a low base shell showing the picture of a rabbit on the box. In case you haven't noticed over the last 20-30 years, the majority of shotgun shell boxes either have a picture on the box like that so it's easy to tell what the manufacturer recommends them for or have a written description on a side panel informing the consumer what they are made for. Yes, I posted that we agree that at 20 yards those low brass would more than likely be lights out it they had a pattern about the size of a soccer ball. I also stated that it would wound at longer distances and you then mentioned 60-70 yards. True turkey loads are designed to do what he is asking at more than twice the yardage those low base shells are good for and many have possibly twice the shot count for a better effective pattern. I also agree there are slob hunters who shoot game at distances they shouldn't be attempting whether it's with a shotgun or a rifle, but hopefully they are at a minimum. Just watch who you're calling boy since I've also been at this game for over 60 years and have taken way more than my share of small and various big game across the country.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-10-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***That's absolute hogwash!
Any time you start a post like that, you will ruffle my feathers. I never care what the majority says, because often the majority is wrong. Look who they elected President - twice!? Go to the beginning. Will 12 gauge 6's (with a bunny on the box ) kill a turkey? My reply - yes at short range. Not the best choice for a turkey load by any means, but it will kill. I think at 40 yards the energy 6 shot has is questionable, so anything beyond that is looking for a cripple. I'll stick to my answer. A turkey shot at 20 yards will not care if there isn't a picture of a turkey on the box. There ya go old timer.
Hey, if you're ever in NE Iowa, look me up. I'll buy you a beer for old times sake. Or do you prefer a glass of warm milk?

Still friends?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I did go back and checked it out and it does not say that you can not use lead shot.. I would not advise it but that is up to you to try it..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:22 AM
Fork Horn

Phil,

When I first started Turkey hunting I shot several
with lead shot that died very nicely. However, I
have evolved into only using the more advanced
and I agree better "turkey loads" with heavier than
lead shot. My thinking is that whatever it takes
to improve the odds that when I pull the trigger the
Turkey is going to drop dead is what I'm going to do.
The bottom line is being sensible about the distance
you can effectively shoot with your set up which
includes gun, choke, ammo, With my current
set up I know that if a Turkey is within 45 yards
and I pull the trigger ---if he isn't in a heap on the
ground I've done something wrong. Happy Hunting
this spring downeast-hope that snow goes away
soon.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

What were turkeys killed with before anyone ever made a specific turkey load? Food for thought. Then again ive also heard that you cant kill a turkey with a single shot 2 3/4" choked barrel gun

Last edited by Teebugg; 04-11-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Spike

Hey thelukai1100 I sent you a PM and by the way nice signature. It seems appropriate to this thread.