Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New Turkey Hunter Questions >

New Turkey Hunter Questions

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter Questions

Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also, be aware that a smart gobbler will come in silent a lot of times, so don't bust him thinking he's not around just because he's not making any noise. If h'es got hens with him, it's hard to get them free of them, so in that event you need to try to get the hens to bring him to you with them. Just have patience and don;t busty them out of the area even if it takes the entire season to get him within range. If it was simple, hunting wouldn't be much fun IMO.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM
nvd
Spike

Thanks for the tips. Since I left my blind there, what if I go there n the turkeys are out.. How or do I even go to my blind? Bush is to thick to go in from behind...

Also for Henned up toms should I still use decoys? I have two hen decoys. One feeding one looking up kinda?

Thanks

Last edited by nvd; 05-01-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

If the turkeys beat you to the area, you just have to set up wherever you can. At that point, I would forget about the blind. Blinds don't kill turkeys, I kill turkeys.

Yes, I would still use decoys. While you probably won't get him away from live hens with decoys alone, you don't know how things will play out and he may end up coming in alone. Also, I've had hens come to a jake decoy with a tom in tow. And one last thing: decoys take the attention off of you and the surrounding and they will be looking more at the decoys.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

also, you can get closer if it is completely dark and your
quiet getting there.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

The thing that I always try to do is watch the birds fly into the roost. After it gets dark enough so the birds won't fly down, I will go in and set up a blind as close as I can possibly get to the birds. 9 times out of 10 they will fly down in the same spot they went up. And then I will get there at least 1 hour before it starts getting light out. I've shot a lot of Toms this way. But if there is a softwood tree that I can climb under, close by, I take that route instead of the blind. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:06 AM
nvd
Spike

Perfect! awesome thank you, I will try this hopefully this week.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone turkey hunt in the woods?