Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need help.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help.

I'm hunting fifty acres and I don't think the turkeys roost there but do pass through.I've had a tom that rarely gobbles.Each time I heard him I would here a cluck.I finally saw him and it looks like an old hen is leading him around.I was set up and she came in and walked all around me and my set up,so I moved.She came right back to me with the tom behind her.She gave a cluck(not a putt) and the tom started moving away.This was around noon,and I don't think he's hened up but she's staying with him.If this is true how do I get past her?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't try to get past her. Call her in. Do some aggressive hen cutting. Be a young hussy trying to get the tom to notice you. When the old hen starts cussing you out,(and she will get nasty) come back to her with whatever she is saying to you. Ignore the gobbling and focus on the hen. She'll get pissed off and decide to kick your a$$. When she comes looking for you, the tom will be right behind her. Nothing a tom likes better than two hens talking dirty to one another.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Wingbone has it nailed.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like a plan,that's what I'll do.Thanks
Old 04-06-2014, 06:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like you have been given some great advice to me.. Good Luck with that one..
Old 04-06-2014, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck! Wingbone nailed it on the head!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:14 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Wingbone said it all!!! As far as not roosting on your 50ac, that's prob a good thing. It's really hard to setup on a small piece of land and get in without bumping roosted birds. Sounds like you've got a good spot! Good luck with him
Old 04-06-2014, 12:04 PM
Typical Buck

Wingbone's got it- you tick her off and she comes in kicking butt and you drop his.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Should I put out a decoy or make them come hunt me Wingbone?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's a tougher question. You want the hen to have to look for you. The tom will be lagging behind the incoming hen some. If you are in thick enough cover, leave the decoy at home. By the time she finds you, the birds should be in range. If you are hunting open fields and have a sense of where the birds are coming from, set the decoy up so that she has to come past you to get to it. But, as soon as she sees the decoy, shut up, don't call any more. Which is tough 'cause she'll be cussin' the whole way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.