Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
#2 Shot Legal for Turkey in Alabama >

#2 Shot Legal for Turkey in Alabama

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

#2 Shot Legal for Turkey in Alabama

Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 AM
Spike

Default #2 Shot Legal for Turkey in Alabama

Juding by this document, Alabama allows #2 shot and smaller for turkey. Judging by what I've read here and elsewhere, standard seems to be #6, #5, and #4.

My question is whether you would use #3 or #2 shot if it were legal, and why? Also, why is the larger size legal in the first place? What's better about #2 shot for turkeys?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:19 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I use magnum blend and I'm a Bama hunter. I've never even wanted to use 4s or 5s in the past, always was partial to 6's. I know the larger pellets pack more of a punch and bet a 2 or 3 would pop that head good, but I've always liked the idea of more shot per oz for denser patterns. I like to cover that dude up! Lol!!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

Indiana is A 10-, 12-, 16- or 20-gauge shotgun loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½.
A muzzle-loading shotgun not smaller than 20-gauge and not larger than 10-gauge, loaded with pellets of size No. 4, 5, 6, 7 or 7½. Combination loads using shot sizes other than these are illegal.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

My question is whether you would use #3 or #2 shot if it were legal, and why? Also, why is the larger size legal in the first place? What's better about #2 shot for turkeys?
No, I would not use number 2 or 3 shot. It has been my experience that it's very difficult to get a decent pattern with even number 4 shot at 40 yards. Never patterned 2's at that distance but I'd be willing to bet that the pattern would be so sparse that it would be worthless for anything other than body shooting a turkey which I would never do. Yeah I'm sure number 2 pellets carry a lot of energy but that doesn't matter if you can't get one to land where you need it to.

Shoot 4's, 5's or 6's; pattern your gun; and aim for the head and neck.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Spike

I just want to quickly point out that I'm not so much concerned about what specifically is or isn't legal in other places, but instead am curious about why a hunter would or wouldn't use #2 or #3 shot for turkey. If we could avoid turning this into a comparison of what shot sizes are legal in everyone's jurisdiction, I'd be much obliged.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by EFH
I use magnum blend and I'm a Bama hunter. I've never even wanted to use 4s or 5s in the past, always was partial to 6's. I know the larger pellets pack more of a punch and bet a 2 or 3 would pop that head good, but I've always liked the idea of more shot per oz for denser patterns. I like to cover that dude up! Lol!!
That makes sense.

As it turns out, one of my guns likes #5 better. I haven't patterned the other yet, but will probably do so this weekend. As far as #2 and #3, I don't recall seeing any on the shelf -- in fact, it jumped from #4 to 00 buck, but that could just be my local store.

I would think the larger sizes would be better for slightly longer ranges. Or am I misunderstanding?
Old 04-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

I had not completely read the post, my mistake. I actually use 5 or 6. My reasoning is that I get more bb's down range in the kill zone. While there are 450 pellets in a 2-ounce load of sixes, there are only 270 of the number four pellets. so roughly half of the bb's down range and a #2 is 90. The link explains my thoughts better

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/ammo/ammo.html
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

At shorter ranges No. 2's wouldn't be necessary,
at longer ranges there would be too many holes in
the pattern to be consistent. Sure you might
occasionally kill a bird at longer range with 2's
but the ones you would miss or wound would not
be worth it.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of people use they for back up shots on a fleeing bird... I have some remington buffered #2's that pattern pretty good at 35 yards... 40 might be pushing it
Old 04-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by firelt72
I had not completely read the post, my mistake. I actually use 5 or 6. My reasoning is that I get more bb's down range in the kill zone. While there are 450 pellets in a 2-ounce load of sixes, there are only 270 of the number four pellets. so roughly half of the bb's down range and a #2 is 90. The link explains my thoughts better

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/ammo/ammo.html
Excellent point. More chunks of lead equals more chances of a hit. The difference in the amount of shot between #4 and #6 is dramatic, and between #2 and #6 even more so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.