Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Alabama hunters......

Old 03-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Alabama hunters......

How is the gobbling? Have we hit the lull or have we even had the first peak of gobbling?

They aren't even gobbling on the roost. Normally birds will gobble decent on the roost during the lull but I'm hearing nothing. It's like they are suffering from low testosterone!
Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Been gobbling pretty good here. We had birds going good up until around 10 Saturday. I've had some friends that have struck birds and got them going after 1, but I don't think we've hit the first peak yet. North Bama still have birds in winter flocks and most of our gobblers are just starting to break up. Lots of good hunting yet to come
Old 03-25-2014, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm at Oakmulgee right now and couldn't buy a gobble. Took one Monday that gobbled twice and didn't hear a peep this morning. I figured we were a few days away from first peak.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Was there or has there been any temperature drop?

I found even a few degrees down from the day before shuts them up.

Just curious and is something to think about.

JW
Old 03-25-2014, 05:08 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

The biggest drop so far I think is tonight....supposed to be in the 20's.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

There have been some temp drops but this was one of those mornings that should have had them going. At least a few gobbles on the roost. I know I was in a spot that has birds. 42 degrees, sunshine, beautiful morning. I'm not use to going out on these kind of days and not even hearing a single courtesy gobble.

Wanted to see if guys near here were have similar hunts.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

I think it's just a little behind in some places. They've been gobbling a lot in some and been silent in others. Birds will still gobble in freezing cold weather. I'm hunting no matter what.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are kind of lukewarm on our land. Gobble a little but not a lot. First bird I killed didn't gobble at all. Second bird gobbled 2 times. Bird I fooled with this morning gobbled 2 times on the limb and not at all on the ground. Still managed to get within sight of him but my buddy that I was calling for just never had a shot.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

It was 32 this morning and I heard 3 birds but couldn't get on any. They didn't say much on the ground.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

We haven't hit the first peak where I am, but it's real close. I've gotten on a couple of young birds that gobbled a couple times on the roost. First bird I called up that died on the youth hunt didn't gobble on the roost at all, but after we witnessed a nice fight he started hammering. Called him in and shot him. The bird I shot the other day didn't make a sound. No turkey I saw that day gobbled except a jake on the roost. We called him in but of course didn't shoot him. It will be about 30 in the morning but I'll be there anyway. I don't anticipate much gobbling but it was 29 last Friday and I heard a couple hammering off my property. Next week will be great around Wednesday or so after a few days of nice warm weather. Stay on em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.