Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Alabama hunters......

Old 03-27-2014, 03:57 AM
Typical Buck

The suckish part is I go back to work on Monday night. I'm off the second week of April so I'm feeling like the first peak is going to hit about Tuesday or Wednesday of next week and we start hitting the lull the week I'm on vacation.

Of course hunting the lull is a whole lot better than pre-peak in my opinion.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:33 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Went out scouting this morning as I am teaching a learn to hunt program which gets you a free one day license and with the new 3 inches of snow - well had crows, owls, tweetybirds, answer me along with one lone hen and that is it!
I am seeing bachelor flocks of wall hangers 20+ to the flock!
Ya think I could get one to shock gobble!! :<
Not lookking good.
Now the real season here starts 4/16 and my late season tags are looking really really good!

JW
Old 03-27-2014, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt the Florida, Alabama border and the only bird I could get never gobbled and if I hadn't seen it across the field I'd never had known he was there.Once I got him close he gobbled twice.Luck was, it turned out to be the best bird I've taken.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlDeerman
I hunt the Florida, Alabama border and the only bird I could get never gobbled and if I hadn't seen it across the field I'd never had known he was there.Once I got him close he gobbled twice.Luck was, it turned out to be the best bird I've taken.
I grew up in Geneva, AL, so I know about where you are. I wish we had some turkeys on our land back home.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Spike

Winston County here. I haven't heard any gobbles yet. I'm going again this afternoon to listen; maybe I can find a flock and set up on them in the morning. Of course, the season just opened here (Bankhead NF), so there will probably be a blue million people out this week.

I saw birds a few weeks ago in my pre-season scout, but I've been crazy busy and just haven't had time to get out and check on them like I wanted.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Were gobbling good Thursday morning near Pittsview ... were mouse quiet Friday morning (heavy rain almost all day started at around 5:00 a.m.), gobbling again late Saturday morning (7:30-ish) after second wave of rain ended, and were going crazy Sunday morning. It was a "Gobble-Rama" Sunday miorning.

We had several great chances. My my grandson blew one for me .... not his fault. Tough on an 8 year old to stay stone still for 30 minutes with strutting, drumming, gobbling Tom working no more than 35 yards out. I had one clear shot at about 25 yards right at the moment my grandson peaked out of where I had him hidden to see the show. Oh well, we had a fun day anyway. This was the only gobbler I saw all weekend. Was able to call up a few hens Saturday.

My son-in-law and his good buddy, between the two of them, came across 9 different gobblers over the weekend, but never could get a clean shot at any.

Last edited by Mojotex; 04-01-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Typical Buck

From everything I've heard the first peak of gobbling started on/around Saturday in north Alabama. One friend had his son take a bird on the youth hunt. He said that there were four toms together but they all gobbled good. He had trail camera pics from the 25th that showed 5 toms strutting for 15 or so hens. The toms are starting to separate now. Heard reports from south Tennessee that the birds are busting up their flocks there too. Just in time for opening day in my part Alabama.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Southern TN birds have been gobbling on the roost pretty good, and for 30 minutes to an hour on the ground. Pretty tight lipped after that. They have been broken up, too, so the time is right. I figured it would be a little later, but the birds don't lie.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

The place I hunt in TN still had birds flocked up for the most part this past weekend. I hope these next few warm days will bust 'em up!