Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Avain X

Old 03-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I'm thinking about getting the feeder decoy to have a pair to put out. I'm so much of a run-and-gun type that decoys aren't always very practical. I do hunt around areas of clear cut where they come in handy. I could let all the air out and pack them up very nicely. I just choose to keep it partially inflated so that setup is quicker.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM
Typical Buck

Ethan
I'm planning on going to Oakmulgee Saturday but the rain chances are picking up. I may stay closer to home and go to Skyline. I've never been there but if I'm wasting a day in the rain I'd at least like to scout out some new territory. It's awesome that they have opened up a spot in No. Alabama in March.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bald9eagle
Ethan
I'm planning on going to Oakmulgee Saturday but the rain chances are picking up. I may stay closer to home and go to Skyline. I've never been there but if I'm wasting a day in the rain I'd at least like to scout out some new territory. It's awesome that they have opened up a spot in No. Alabama in March.
I was ready to go next weekend until I realized where I wanted to hunt doesn't open until April 1! We need together for a hunt sometime! I'll be out of town this weekend, and the first couple of April. Weekdays are a possibility as well.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:15 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrl0004
I was ready to go next weekend until I realized where I wanted to hunt doesn't open until April 1! We need together for a hunt sometime! I'll be out of town this weekend, and the first couple of April. Weekdays are a possibility as well.
How about you scout out Skyline and find some birds for Saturday? Huh? Huh?

Seriously, if you can suggest a spot in Skyline to start that would be awesome. I've about decided that the rain on Saturday will keep me closer to home.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:16 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Ethan
I hear that! I'm always excited to hunt in Lauderdale Co every April! I'll be out there in the rain too Saturday! Hope you lay one of those rainy day birds down.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto "bald9eagle". Seem to be the best that I have used as far as catching gobbler's attention.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Ditto "bald9eagle". Seem to be the best that I have used as far as catching gobbler's attention.
Mojo, I'm hoping to head down your way again and hunt with opie in a few weeks!
Old 03-13-2014, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

How about you scout out Skyline and find some birds for Saturday? Huh? Huh?

Seriously, if you can suggest a spot in Skyline to start that would be awesome. I've about decided that the rain on Saturday will keep me closer to home.
I'll be in Auburn hunting this weekend. I'm not even sure I know where skyline is. I checked out a few spots in Bankhead a couple of weeks ago. The area you told me about is actually on the WMA, and it was crawling with hig hunters that day so I couldn't scout it. I have two other locations in Bankhead that look promising.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mrl0004
I'll be in Auburn hunting this weekend. I'm not even sure I know where skyline is. I checked out a few spots in Bankhead a couple of weeks ago. The area you told me about is actually on the WMA, and it was crawling with hig hunters that day so I couldn't scout it. I have two other locations in Bankhead that look promising.
Skyline is located near Paint Rock Valley....between Huntsville and Scottsboro. Supposed to have one of the highest bird densities in the state. Just off the AL/TENN line.

I've done a little scouting of Bankhead but not much. I've found where they prescribed burned so that will be my first target.

Back to the original topic....I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Avian X decoy. Well worth the money to me.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

mrl0004 - Headed down this weekend, but it'll probably be a wash-out. No pun intended .... but looks like chance of heavy rain, especially Sunday. If nothing else, I might get in some good snooze time. Been blowing and going lately. Need a break !!

We are having a big fish/shrimp fry Saturday night. Ope will be there. If you are in Auburn, come on down for the feed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.