HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Impressions and Results: Sight-In, 2014 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/390288-impressions-results-sight-2014-a.html)

Grawlix 03-11-2014 07:18 PM

Impressions and Results: Sight-In, 2014

Well, folks, I hit the range today with my Browning Gold 10-gauge and its newly-mounted Leupold 1-4 scope and my Rhino choke tube.

I had variety of loads with me, ranging from 1 7/8 oz. Hevi-Shot No. 6's to 2 1/4 copper-plated No. 4's.

Velocities on the boxes ranged from 1050 fps to 1300 fps.

I also had a LOT of duct tape and paper plates.....

(I did the same thing with 12-gauge, 3 1/2-inch loads a few seasons ago).

I hate to break it to anyone in particular, but my conclusions are not earth-shattering, or even noteworthy - - except to the extent that they may reinforce conventional wisdom or common sense.

1. The ten-gauge patterns better and is capable of doing so at longer ranges than the 12-gauge; NOT night-and-day, but noticeable.

2. There are some differences between loads - - but a LOT less than the ammo manufacturers would suggest.

3. Almost any turkey load will do the job at any distance which a SANE hunter would dare to take a shot.

4. Closer is better. Much better. All loads spread out, then drop, as the distance to target increases.

5. A scope doesn't add a whole lot to a scatter gun's performance. There is some marginal utility in using one to accentuate one's focus on the target. A hunter is definitely NOT, however, under-equipped without one, and one with a scope is not necessarily at an advantage.

6. As homage to "Box O' Truth": it's fun to shoot stuff.

That's about it. I hope someone benefits. I guess if it works for you, keep doing it. It it doesn't, try something else.

JW 03-12-2014 03:21 AM

Quote!
5. A scope doesn't add a whole lot to a scatter gun's performance. There is some marginal utility in using one to accentuate one's focus on the target. A hunter is definitely NOT, however, under-equipped without one, and one with a scope is not necessarily at an advantage
Rebuttal - Yes it is an Advantage if you are old and your eyes can no longer focus on the back ramp of Tru Glo open sights to settle in with the front bead and then pull the bird in focus. I can focus on one or the other clearly but then loose focus on the bird. to much Fubar there for me!
So for this Ole Fart - a scope is a tremendous advantage and I won't leave home without it!

JW :D

Grawlix 03-12-2014 04:28 PM

JW: My apologies. I didn't think about the older hunter/eyesight thing (probably because I wear pop-bottle glasses and have always been very badly nearsighted...in recent years, it has gotten worsei, and my other visions have started to deteriorate I now wear (no-line) trifocals).

Nothing says "sexy" like trifocals....

JW 03-12-2014 04:42 PM

Hey No apology necessary at all!

Beauty of the forums......we get all sorts of opinions and if I can help ,I type if not or don't know I don't - sometimes.....:)

Note: Had cataract surgery both eyes - 1st eye at 46 - 2nd at 58. and it did give me 20/20 back in one eye. But I have grown very fond of my scope......

Ya, - I am vain too - blended trifocals......no lines.....but then the gray hair gives me away!

JW

nchawkeye 03-12-2014 05:59 PM

Be glad you have hair, some of us don't!!! :)

JW 03-12-2014 06:22 PM

I heard the real smart ones loose theirs - I must be a dummy.

but then the gene might jumped and got a brother younger than me but not the youngest who has way ore than me......

Todd1700 03-12-2014 09:56 PM

also had a LOT of duct tape and paper plates.....
Were you just shooting at paper plates? I would recommend shooting at whole sheets of poster paper. Results can be deceiving if you shoot at too small a target. Sometimes the center of the pattern may miss it entirely.

2. There are some differences between loads - - but a LOT less than the ammo manufacturers would suggest.
Hmmm, if you didn't see much difference between lead number 4's and Hevi-13 number 6's then all I can say is your results are non-typical. Not disputing them. Just saying they are unusual. Usually lead 6's will pattern much better than lead 4's and denser than lead 6's way, way, better than lead 4's.

6. As homage to "Box O' Truth": it's fun to shoot stuff.
Total agreement here. A day without gunfire is like a day without sunshine. LOL!

Adrian J Hare 03-13-2014 03:27 AM

Just a little advice from back at the test part. Get rid of the Hevi shot 1 7/8 oz and only stick with 2 oz loads. You'll see far superior patterns...