HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Strikers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/390219-strikers.html)

LBADG 03-08-2014 04:34 AM

Strikers

Does any one here make there own? With a basic slate call, it's the striker that makes the call, so I experiment with the sounds I can achieve. I have taken dried limbs of maple cherry oak and ash...varying widths,cut to different lengths and drilled holes in one end...I then have used varying lengths of dowel and carbon arrows that have been broken 3-D falling over snaps them off clean:s9:. Sometimes I can take a piece of limb out and a few different "rods" to interchange for a variance in pitch and tone...Fun to see what I can come upo with and how they work in the field. Oh lets not forget dried corn cob ...another distinct sound.

JW 03-08-2014 05:25 AM

You will get more talk on the main forum.

Now one thing you will find is at some point if you make your striker too short the sound does not change and will be too high pitched.

JW

bald9eagle 03-08-2014 10:30 AM

It's not just the stiker but yeah it can change a call quite a bit.
Lighter tops = higher pitch
Heavier tops = deeper pitch
The denser the striker dowel the louder and higher pitch. The softer stuff is more mellow. A rosewood striker will scream on an aluminum call.

What you condition your surface with will have an effect too. Some very light grit paper (240 or lighter) will create some areas that will grap your striker better and make the call have some rasp to it. Scotch pads are good but don't get too light of a grit or you are just slicking the call over. 180 grit on a glass call is a good option. 240 grit on aluminum or copper but keep it light and don't bear down.

Most people do it but I never condition slate call surfaces. The slate just doesn't need it. I also have found that if I don't sand my striker tips when I get copper or aluminum buildup that it will actually run better.

Just some things that I have found out while producing calls.

FlDeerman 03-08-2014 01:44 PM

Just made a striker from a white oak limb.Just tried it outside and it has a nice deeper sound.

firelt72 03-08-2014 03:15 PM

I have also found hard woods can be better on softer slate and soft woods on glass. It is just as individual as each hunter is. Takes practice and playing around.

firelt72 03-08-2014 03:17 PM

One other tip- before randomly scratching up a glass, crystal, aluminum, or ceramic surface dip the striker tip in water/moisten with mouth and then dip in baking soda. This gives you a grip and friction. You find the sweet spot before scratching up the call face.

Adrian J Hare 03-09-2014 05:12 AM

fruit woods make some of the best sounding strikers...

FlDeerman 03-09-2014 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4127725)

Didn't know that will have to try it.

bald9eagle 03-09-2014 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4127725)

I've got a peach tree at the house that is about dead.....It might die sooner than later.

Adrian J Hare 03-10-2014 04:49 PM

I love Lemon wood and Cyprus is another that makes a great higher pitch striker too. I just cut down a Grapefruit here and tossed it all away ...