Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
mossberg 535 patterning problems >

mossberg 535 patterning problems

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

mossberg 535 patterning problems

Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

I use an SSX choke tube in my 535 with #6 3 " hevi shot, patterns great.
U also may want to polish your barrel. It really made my gun shoot better.
Check out allaboutshooting.com, thats where I purchased my choke tube.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe you could let a friend shoot your gun and see if he is having same prob with pattern being off center...
Old 03-25-2014, 07:21 AM
Spike

well update i bought hevi shot blend 3 inch and 3 1/2 magnum blend wichester xr long beard federal , remington and even let 2 different friends try and shoot it just to see if it was me. it gets a awesome pattern 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left. with every shell. the only way to fix this problem im afraid to say is to put a scope on the top of this. i am opting to sell this gun and keep my single shot thompson/ center 12 guage which is so extremely impressive with the xr loads only a 3 inch gun but ive never had a problem with it ever. good luck this year and thanks for everyones input.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea... Next time by a Remington lol

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 03-25-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about the gun that is a shame good luck this season
Old 03-30-2014, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

http://ekusa.com/cat-crap

best stuff I've found for scopes and glasses.

Gman
Old 03-30-2014, 04:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mike52876
well update i bought hevi shot blend 3 inch and 3 1/2 magnum blend wichester xr long beard federal , remington and even let 2 different friends try and shoot it just to see if it was me. it gets a awesome pattern 6 inches high and 4 inches to the left. with every shell. the only way to fix this problem im afraid to say is to put a scope on the top of this. i am opting to sell this gun and keep my single shot thompson/ center 12 guage which is so extremely impressive with the xr loads only a 3 inch gun but ive never had a problem with it ever. good luck this year and thanks for everyones input.

Mike - shim the stock and/or add a Monte Carlo type stock or slip on boot. I know they make them as I am using a neoprene slip on stock adjuster that I can add or delete inserts to raise or lower.

I had a Benelli was not hitting exactly where I aimed. That gun comes with adjusters to raise or lower the comb of the stock.
Made quite a difference.

JW

PS - found it - you can get them at Bass Pro
http://www.basspro.com/Beartooth-Com...product/22034/

Last edited by JW; 03-30-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Did the scope help?
Old 04-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

i have numerous mossbergs from the 500 to the 835 and a slug gun to and my father has numerous mossbergs as well and it seems that the only shells that shoot and group good are Federals. I took the stock mossberg choke out and have a carlsons choke for each type i use them for like turkey/deer/clays etc etc. but every gun is different. so make sure your barrel is clean as it can get and no damage and then do a little more research on choke tubes that you would be interested in. And try some different ammo.It might cost a little bit to find that perfect combo but its out there for ya!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 PM
Spike

How do u post a picture