HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   First turkey hunt with a shotty, need help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/389939-first-turkey-hunt-shotty-need-help.html)

bbiljah 02-25-2014 05:20 AM

First turkey hunt with a shotty, need help

So new to shottys and I picked up "turkey shells" lol just curious, do I use full choke? I have full, mod, imp cyl.

Gamblinman 02-25-2014 04:18 PM

Full choke, at a minimum. You need to pattern your gun before heading to the woods.

1) To confirm that your shotgun is shooting to your point of aim, and
2) To determine the density of your shot pattern. You may or may not need a tighter choke, or limit your shot distance accordingly.

Gman

bbiljah 02-25-2014 04:46 PM

is full choke the smaller of the chokes, tighter grouping? Now my shot pattern what will that determine, and how would I fix the pattern? i'm completely new to shottys so go easy on me lol

Mr. Longbeard 02-25-2014 04:57 PM

Shotty's ???

Dude im a little scared... Have you been threw a hunter safty course???

bbiljah 02-25-2014 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard (Post 4124793)
Shotty's ???

Dude im a little scared... Have you been threw a hunter safety course???

Yea.... O.o I have HSC, LIC, and WMA.. Why are you scared? lol my first SHOTGUN, better? I've owned .308 - .223 - 30.06 - .9 - .45 .ect..
not my first rodeo with a gun lol

FlDeerman 02-25-2014 06:24 PM

I would buy a turkey choke and pattern it.Mine shoots 71/2's a little to the right so I have to aim a little to the left.If I shoot 4's it shoots perfect.See how many shot would hit the head area.

Mr. Longbeard 02-25-2014 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by bbiljah (Post 4124802)
Yea.... O.o I have HSC, LIC, and WMA.. Why are you scared? lol my first SHOTGUN, better? I've owned .308 - .223 - 30.06 - .9 - .45 .ect..
not my first rodeo with a gun lol

Just picturing you as a young 20 something new turkey hunter running around in the woods with a "shotty" that's all...

good luck and be safe

bbiljah 02-26-2014 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard (Post 4124866)
Just picturing you as a young 20 something new turkey hunter running around in the woods with a "shotty" that's all...

good luck and be safe

Lol no, idk thats what we call it in my area lol i guess its like soda, pop, sodapop, tonic, coke. Different areas have different names for things lol.

Gamblinman 02-26-2014 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by bbiljah (Post 4124787)
is full choke the smaller of the chokes, tighter grouping?

Yes

Now my shot pattern what will that determine, and how would I fix the pattern? i'm completely new to shottys so go easy on me lol

If the gun is not shooting to its Point of Aim, then you will need to allow for that when aiming, or purchase adjustable sights to compensate. Every gun,shell, and choke combination shoots somewhat different, so you need to see what kind of pattern your gun shoots. As suggested earlier, I would purchase a choke specifically for turkey hunting.

Gman

Mr. Longbeard 02-26-2014 10:10 AM

Gotcha... You'll get good info hear