Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Snake boots

Old 02-21-2014, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Snake boots

In preparation for them TX rattlers, I'm in need of a pair of snake boots. Obviously prefer mostly camo, any recommendations?
Old 02-21-2014, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am just about positive that a few years ago, I found the best snake boots avaialble. They are made by Danner. The best feature is that when I wear them,. I never come across a rattler, a copperhaed,a moccasin or any other snakelike creature. When I do not, I'll dang near step on one. Including a big Black Racer that shot across my lright eg two seasons back while I was sitting under a big pine, trying to call up a gobbler. Dang near gave me a heart attack !

Despite the later being 100% true so far, the Danners fit my foot great. They broke in pretty fast, but did blister me first day out ... I probably put in 5-6 miles looking for a gobberl. I have never had to rely on them, and don't care to have to either !
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Gore Tex snake boots from Cabelas...Good for walking around in swampy areas and for crossing streams.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 15" Rocky Rattler snake boots feel like a comfortable pair of tennis shoes. I can move really well in these and they are great for stomping turkey heads too! They are full realtree camo and allow my feet to breathe and not sweat on hot spring days. When it comes time to buy another pair I'll be looking for these.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

I'll second the Danner. I have a pair that are very, very light, and waterproof. Just perfect for my needs - - durable, too.

If it's a little cooler outside, or you don't have far to walk, I'd recommend some Chippewas. I've had a pair of them for 10 years now; they are rugged as all get-out and wear like iron.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

def not the cheap $100 ones from basspro, couldn't even walk in them they were so uncomfortable!
Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would not waste my money on Rocky snakes at all. Spend a little extra and get a pair that will last. They are an investment that will be used over and over...
Old 02-22-2014, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had my Rocky snake boots for going on 4 seasons and they are barely worn except for the shoe laces which I will replace before the season starts up in a couple weeks. Actually they are perfectly worn in the way they are right now. I wear them not only turkey hunting but also bow hunting so they get a whole heck of a lot of use. I even wore them the entire deer season this year even though they aren't insulated. Just throw on two pair of socks and rock on. I walked in a waist deep creek for an hour in those boots one time and just let them dry out and they're still the same as they were before......actually better in my opinion. I've walked through ankle deep snow, water, mud, sand, clay, across stobby corn fields, up rocky hill sides, etc etc etc, and not once have I said "Dad gum I wish I had some better boots." If you want to pay $200+ for something you put on your feet go ahead....maybe I'm just not that picky. If my feet get a little wet so what, that's what an extra pair of socks and the sun are for. I used to wear completely waterproof boots before these rockys and every spring I would sweat so much in them I would get a bad case of athlete's foot that I couldn't cure until mid way through summer. Ever since I have worn these rocky boots I haven't had a single problem with my feet. They are flexible and still support my ankles with the lace up plus side zipper. Boots aren't worth arguing over at all, just offering my 2 cents and experience with a great pair of snake boots for a financially wiser option......unless you just like to buy expensive stuff for the name. Again, I've had mine for going on 4 seasons and when they do start to wear out I will buy another pair. I definitely will not pay more than $150 or so for any piece of hunting apparel, no matter how comfortable I may be financially. I know plenty of great hunters who kill the crap out of birds wearing tennis shoes and chaps so just keep that in mind too.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Indians used to wear moccasins.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Danner is my favorite. I had a pair of Rocky's back in the day, and liked them. Bought another pair of Rocky snake boots 3 years ago, and hated them. They just weren't as comfortable as they used to be. I sold them, and bought a good pair of Danner's. They are far superior, in my opinion, to either pair of Rocky's that I had. Very comfortable, and have held up quite admirably for three turkey seasons, plus 3 bow seasons. I suspect that they will last me several more years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.