Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting Gear

Old 02-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

May I suggest a blaze orange mesh net turkey bag with a nylon shoulder strap; so you can carry out your trophy safely. A blaze orange vest...while walking around in the woods. A blaze orange cap, that you put on when attempting to retrieve your turkey, and blaze orange surveyor's flagging that you tie around a bush or tree; if your in a blind.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Erno has a good point......Safety is the most important thing for sure, especially if you are hunting public land. It is wise to wear some orange when carrying decoys or a harvested bird out of the woods.........just know that turkeys are not color blind and have excellent vision......i.e. don't wear the orange while you're hunting.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:50 AM
Spike

I hunt turkey on our ranch so I don't need to wear orange as We are the only ones out there and always know were everyone is if we have people hunting separate. The wild turkeys roost and live pretty much only on our ranch so we know were they roost and go to feed etc. We know their patterns so we use pop up blinds and setup on their trails like you would deer. Don't hunt roosting spots as you will either never see them until its too dark to shoot and you can scare them out of the area and ruin your hunting chances. Just like its best to avoid hunting deer's bedding areas.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only things I use for turkey hunting:

Camo head to toe, including face and gloves.
Shotgun & ammo
Decoys
Calls (I'm using slate calls and boxes, a couple mouth diaphragms. Hate glass).
Low seated chair (Cabelas Gobbler Lounger is FANTASTIC)

When I'm bow hunting, I'm about 50/50 between simply a taller stool to shoot seated, and an enclosed blind. Admittedly, it's a LOT easier to draw inside a blind without getting spotted, but on the other had, it's a lot harder to move. If I can get turkeys close, but not close enough when I'm outside of a blind, I'll move. Not really an option inside a blind or up in a tree stand. Done a bit of turkey calling out of a treestand as well, which is nice for arrow recovery, but it limits mobility and elevates you for no real benefit.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save your money, you do not need a blind and spend your funds towards calls and helpful equipment like a vest, clippers, binos and things that will come handy. I've killed more birds then most would believe and never not once out of any blind...
Old 02-24-2014, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you use a pop-up blind that's dark inside...use a black covered head net and a black shirt for concealment. With a shotgun...I'd probably wouldn't be without a good pair of amplified hearing protection, like my camo Howard Leight's.

If you have any wild geese around, a goose call might spur a tom to shock gobble. Don't forget plastic/wire ties, too attach the game tag to your gobbler.

Cabela's gobbler lounger is nice... but the cloth on the face of the back of the chair --- on the one that I bought --- is not a camo pattern; but just a black color.

Learn to shoot both right and left handed.

Order a spring turkey equipment catalog from Cabelas and Redhead.

To make you're setup more realistic...try sticking a crow decoy in a nearby tree, or even a great blue heron decoy.

Last edited by Erno86; 02-24-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Typical Buck

I dispise hunting any kind of game in a blind. I feel very restricted. so I spend the money to buy good camo every year as opposed to huntin in a blind. and if your lookin for good quality turkey calls for a farliy good price go with primos. some are a bit more expensive but they are well worth it.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

i dont like hunting turkey in a blind as i like to move a lil bit as far a decoys for just cheap decoys they sell them at walmart for 10 bucks they are good for the price and i use hs strut calls.. and primos they are normally pretty cheap but work good for me.
good luck this year man
Old 03-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

Do you need decoys to Turkey hunt? This will be my first year...
Old 03-04-2014, 10:41 AM
JW
Super Moderator

No you don't need decoys.......Decoys can help you and then again Decoys can hurt you. By hurting you I mean the Tom hangs up or stops out of the range of your shotgun which causes many new hunters to take the shot anyhow, to which only wounds the bird, and it is lost.

Do I use decoys? Yes - depends on the hunting situation I am in.

Now I am not saying you don't this - it is just a generality. It is what I have witnessed.

Actually hunting without decoys to me is more rewarding. With your calling you are playing a cat and mouse game with that Tom that is looking for you.

However if you do buy a decoy - get one that looks as realistic as you can afford. A hen will do.

Make sure when using decoys you can see well as it is a safety issue.
I have had other hunters sneak in on decoys.

I do place my decoys directly in front of me but I am in a blind and the blind is never brushed in. And if used the decoy set is close. Almost less than 10 yards.

I don't use decoys when I run and gun as I travel light.

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.