Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Hunting Gear

Old 02-16-2014, 06:00 AM
Spike

Default Turkey Hunting Gear

Gearing up for my first turkey season looking to get the necessary gear without breaking the bank. What would you guys recommend in terms of affordable ground blinds, calls, and decoys?
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the doghouse blind... got one for around 50 bucks on ebay
Old 02-16-2014, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are a novice, I'd suggest that you stick with a box call and a slate "pot" type friction call. These are easier on which to learn the 3 main calls that I use most ... cluck, purr and yelp. Other calls that are more difficult to master such as a glass pot, mouth diaphram type calls or a wing bone call take a good deal of practice .... which you may not have at this late date. You can find perfectly suitable box calls and pot calls in the $20 ea. range, however if you think you are in for the long haul, take a listen at Woodhaven's box and slate pot calls. Very nice sounding and not all that crazy priced.

I often use a locator call .... crow call works fine down here, as does an owl call. Either of these are relatively inexpensive and easy to use. And usually will fire up a Tom, especially early in the morning.

Unless you are going to be hunting where there is little natural cover, I'd forego the pup-up blind. I have one and I use it. But not that often. Way beyond too heavy to even consider when I am on the move trying to locate or close in on a gobbler. Snuggling up tight against natural cover, maybe helping hide with a brush blind .... usually is sufficient.

Decoys ... again any should do. The Avian brand decoys have really worked great for me. They are pretty realistic looking, but somewhat bulky ... but not cheap. Trouble I have had with the light weight, fold up type foam or plastic decoys is that I never found one that would unfold all that full.

One piece of advice ... don't over call. Once a gobbler responds, he knows where you are. Hard to tell you what constitutes over-calling. Each case is somewhat unique. I have Tom's come in hot footing it after the first few yelps. I have had to work a gobbler for hours to get it into range. I have had gobblers hang up 100-200 yards away despite every effort made to bring 'em in. It's a challenge to say the least and that is what keeps me at it!

And welcome to the craziness of turkey hunting. Good luck.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you're bowhunting, I'd say the ground blind would be unnecessary. Get your back up against a good sized tree or even heavy brushpile, and you're good to go. Easier to see them coming as well.
Any old decoy will do. Turkeys aren't as picky about their company as decoy makers would have you think. If it looks like a turkey, that's good enough.
A box and/or a "slate" call is easy to learn and you will sound like a turkey right off the bat. Mojotex gave you good advise. Don't call too much. You don't hear the turkeys calling a lot. You shouldn't either.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

A blind isn't necessary, but if you decide you want one, check this out. This blind is for one man and you can not shoot a bow out of it, but it is truly a quality blind. A blind is nice because it's more comfortable to wait until the turkeys show up. This link says they are in stock, but I'd call to make sure.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...0040&src=tpMfg

Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 PM
fzo
Fork Horn

i´m for the doghouse blind, too.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot your gun with a few different super full chokes and different size loads. Different guns shoot better with different combinations of chokes and loads. If your gun comes with a good full factory choke that will probably do. Try some number 4 and number 5 shot and different length shells, depending on what your gun can hold. There are some good threads on here about loads and chokes and what kind of pattern you're looking for.

I would forego the blind to start off with. I think too many people start off turkey hunting for the first time and go sit in a ground blind and expect the turkeys to walk by. After all, that's what they see on tv and think that's how it's supposed to work. You should end up going to where the turkeys gobble and find the best setup to call the bird to you. You could opt for a portable blind if you think you need it, but lugging that thing around might keep you from being as mobile as you may need to be.

Things to buy starting off would be a simple box call, doesn't have to be fancy and expensive, just listen to the birds around you and try to sound like them. II started out 13 years ago with a Primos Box Cutter and an old slate call, and to be honest I never really needed anything else. It's not necessary but a good locator call is good to have, such as a crow call and/or owl hooter. If you think you need decoys just buy some old cheap Flambeau or Delta hens. When I started turkey hunting decoys weren't legal in my state so I never used them. When decoys became legal I tried them and spooked more birds off than I ever did without them, so I still don't use them.

You may find yourself sitting for a long period of time so get yourself a good vest with a comfortable seat. If you live in an area known for snakes you might think about some comfortable snake boots or chaps as well. Even though I don't see too many snakes I always wear snake boots. Last but not least, make sure you carry a good sharp knife to breast out that turkey you're gonna kill and don't forget to cut his beard, fan, and legs off!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 AM
Typical Buck

I used to use a Jakehouse Blind --basically just a little screen you pop up in front of yourself. ( http://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-1030...s=turkey+blind ) Hides your movement a little. I don't use it much any more, just something else to carry. I use a good cushion, a big tree, and full camo, and just sit down and blend in. I don't think I'd find being cooped up inside a full-size blind enjoyable.
As for decoys, I've had turkeys come into them, and I've had turkeys appear to be spooked by them (including a real nice gobbler that was coming hard until he crested a ridge and saw my decoy). Although many say any decoy will work, and it's probably true, I'm not entirely sure a low quality decoy will work as well as a good one (maybe that gobbler wouldn't have spooked if my deke was more realistic?).
Old 02-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Spike

Heisman, don't know your age, or health, but as for calls.... If you have dentures, DO NOT get the inside your mouth calls. I tried a few and succeeded in blowing my upper denture plate out on the ground. Slates - crystals and box calls for me. (However, it made a humorous hunting story that you apperently never live down among your hunting buddies )
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Match your camo (gloves and head cover) with the surroundings, bring your shotgun with a hand full of #4,#5 or #6 shot & a screw in a full (extra full) choke, a good seat cushion, some shooting sticks and keep your eyes and ears open.

You take it from there - good luck !

I expect you already know where they roost ?!?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.