HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   hevi shot effective range (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/389612-hevi-shot-effective-range.html)

Mr. Longbeard 02-10-2014 10:07 AM

hevi shot effective range

Was looking at the new cabelas spring catalog... And I seen something very shocking... Hevi 13 shows there effective range for #7 shot to be 35 yards... :confused0024:

I've been reading all last year about how this stuff is just deadly out to 50-60 yards... I'm glad I read that... You guys almost had Mr Longbeard fooled

RPD63 02-10-2014 12:18 PM

Does it say what the effective rang is for the Magblend? Just wondering what was in print.

BOWHUNTERCOP 02-10-2014 01:04 PM

I'm getting great patterns out to 50yds (the furthest I shot at the range) using Magnum Blend with a Hevishot Choke, out of a Remington 1187 Super Magnum 3.5" shells

car 02-10-2014 02:00 PM

My longest was 52 yards with #5 Hevi Shot. I just bought a box of Win Long Beard XR #6. Haven't got to shoot them yet to see how well it patterns. I really don't like to shoot that far. The 52 yard shot was a do or let go shot at a real nice double beard tom.

Gamblinman 02-10-2014 02:06 PM

Hevi13 ain't what it used to be.

Gman

JoeA 02-10-2014 02:39 PM

A pellet of #7 shot doesn't have the mass to carry energy downrange. Move up to #4 and you'll see 50+yd head busting patterns.

superstrutter 02-10-2014 05:32 PM

Hevi 13's have never patterned well out of my gun. The Remington Wingmaster HD's are awesome out of my gun, but of course they stopped making them.

SouthernStrut56 02-10-2014 05:42 PM

Hevi-shot sure doesn't shoot well outta my 870 w/ Pure Gold .670 choke. I've shot all the high dollar shells (which is pretty much all of them now) but 3-1/2" Winchester supreme #5 still gives me the best pattern at 40 yds. It's nothing but deadly.

Mr. Longbeard 02-11-2014 03:27 PM

yea the mag blend was shown with 7 out to 35 yards then the heavier pellets kick in out to like 50 or so...

Todd1700 02-11-2014 04:50 PM

A pellet of #7 shot doesn't have the mass to carry energy downrange. Move up to #4 and you'll see 50+yd head busting patterns.
An individual number 4 pellet still has the power to kill at 50 yards but I have never seen anybody's shotgun fire what I would consider an acceptable pattern at 50 yards with number 4 shot.

Todd1700 02-11-2014 04:58 PM

I've been reading all last year about how this stuff is just deadly out to 50-60 yards... I'm glad I read that... You guys almost had Mr Longbeard fooled
I haven't seen very many people claim that the Hevi-13 7's are good to 50 yards. I have used them out to 40 yards and they were deadly to that range. I have hammered turkeys at 48 yards with the 6's and have no doubts that they would still be lethal at 50 yards and beyond.

Todd1700 02-11-2014 05:03 PM

Launched at a high enough velocity, such as from the Nitro Comapany shells, denser than lead 7's are lethal at 50 yards and farther.

And of course at the top of the heap is hand loaded TSS shot. You would never need to use anything larger than 7 shot with TSS and most people end up using number 8 shot.

Mr. Longbeard 02-12-2014 06:42 AM

I've read a lot about this TSS shot...

I've always wondered... If this stuf is so great... Why doesn't win, rem, fed... Have there hands in this???

I'd pay the prices for them if they would give me killing pattern out to 60 yards... Ok my bad 100 yards lol

Todd1700 02-12-2014 09:09 AM

I've always wondered... If this stuf is so great... Why doesn't win, rem, fed... Have there hands in this???

I'd pay the prices for them if they would give me killing pattern out to 60 yards... Ok my bad 100 yards lol
I have no inside knowledge of why they don't but here would be my best guesses.

First is no doubt cost. Yeah, people like you and I would buy it. But the rest of the turkey hunting world that spends little or no time on the internet obsessing over this stuff like we do would probably grab their chest and start staggering backwards like Red Foxx on the old Sanford and Son show when they saw what a box of 5 would cost. I know many people that think the price of the Nitro Company's shells is insane and won't buy them. TSS shells would blow past the price of those shells by a wide margin.

Second, TSS shot is so hard and so dense that I think the big manufacturers like Winchester are probably worried that it could damage gun barrels. The hand loads for this stuff contain special wads, mylar wrap liners and overshot cards to protect barrels. All that stuff not only adds to the cost of each shell but tells me there is a concern for barrels in using this stuff. Nothing strikes more fear in the heart of company executives than the potential for a lawsuit.

bald9eagle 02-13-2014 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Todd1700 (Post 4122110)
Launched at a high enough velocity, such as from the Nitro Comapany shells, denser than lead 7's are lethal at 50 yards and farther.

And of course at the top of the heap is hand loaded TSS shot. You would never need to use anything larger than 7 shot with TSS and most people end up using number 8 shot.

I really like the 4,5,6,7 blend that Nitro does. Shoots awesome patterns out of my SBEII.

RockyMtnGobblers 02-17-2014 07:52 AM

Hevi-13

My Rem 870 shoots a good pattern at 40 yards with Hevi-13 easily a killing pattern but my fav. is Nitro 4x5x6x7 I could easily kill a turkey at 50+ with it but I am against making such a shot, you still run the risk of wounding or missing.

Adrian J Hare 02-17-2014 08:30 PM

What a troll !

He's just plain ruining this board and if your wondering MLB...

coolbrze0 02-18-2014 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56 (Post 4121848)
Hevi-shot sure doesn't shoot well outta my 870 but 3-1/2" Winchester supreme #5 still gives me the best pattern at 40 yds. It's nothing but deadly.

I'll 2nd that.

Champlain Islander 02-18-2014 03:31 AM

I use the hevi shot blend 5,6,7 shot and find that it can kill with very high percentage out to 50 yds out of my SBE with a .670 custom choke. I am sure it would perform beyond that range but I won't take that kind of shot. The only down side is cost.

Mr. Longbeard 02-18-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4123288)
What a troll !

dude whats that all about???

just tryin to get the board up and running not trying ruffle your feathers... relax turkey season is comin and lets all get along... no more pics of you standing next to a public land hunting sign lol

Adrian J Hare 02-19-2014 04:04 AM

Maybe i'm looking at this wrong but MLB the passed here has got old and most have left because of it. I every now and then come visit and read but it is not very often. As far as replying I quit that too because of comments that are old.

Hope things have turned around because it use to be one of the greatest boards I visited...

Matchbook454 02-19-2014 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4123481)
Maybe i'm looking at this wrong but MLB the passed here has got old and most have left because of it. I every now and then come visit and read but it is not very often. As far as replying I quit that too because of comments that are old.

Hope things have turned around because it use to be one of the greatest boards I visited...

:confused0024:

MLB, thanks for your posts and taking the time to start some conversation on this site.

I load TSS. I took a tom 3 years ago at 61 yards (checked with a rangefinder, not stepped off or estimated) with a #8/9 duplex load. I now am loading straight #9's. The duplex load gave me a good pattern to about 65 yards and had enough energy/penetration to kill out to 90 plus yards. #9's give me a better pattern at 60 and a good pattern to 70 with enough energy to kill at 70+. I don't plan on shooting ovet 60 give or take a yard or two and can say with confidence that my gun, load, and shooting capabilities that this is an ETHICAL shot. Now, for those of you who are huffing and puffing right now, just remember what lead shooters were saying about guys shooting hevi-13 over 40 yards. TSS is to Hevi-13 is what Hevi-13 is to lead.

Topgun 3006 02-19-2014 05:41 PM

***Maybe you should either stay away or just read without posting because posts like you just made on this thread are not needed here and I do remember YOU were instrumental in the last big goaraound on here about long distance shooting of longbeards! :busted:

Mr. Longbeard 02-19-2014 06:48 PM

dude its really a mountain worth climbing!!!

I say just come on hear read what you want take it for what its worth... help a fellow brother out if you can and hopefully kill a couple Gobblers this spring...

Im ready hear that first wip er will and that first gobble of the year come on spring

Erno86 02-20-2014 11:49 AM

I did bag a 20 pound tom last spring at 30 yards, using a 3 inch Hevi Shot #5,6 and 7 round.

SouthernStrut56 02-23-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare (Post 4123288)
What a troll !

Go shine your $500 Russell "turkey hunting" boots.

rebel2 09-25-2014 02:50 AM

Yes the #7 pellets have an effective range of around 35 yards, I would say that the number is set fairly low as I have seen it perform at longer ranges. But its a #7 and not designed for longer range shooting and moreso of pattern density. If you want longer range then look into 4's or 5's and you'll get your 50 yard plus effective range.