Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
hevi shot effective range >

hevi shot effective range

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

hevi shot effective range

Old 02-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been reading all last year about how this stuff is just deadly out to 50-60 yards... I'm glad I read that... You guys almost had Mr Longbeard fooled
I haven't seen very many people claim that the Hevi-13 7's are good to 50 yards. I have used them out to 40 yards and they were deadly to that range. I have hammered turkeys at 48 yards with the 6's and have no doubts that they would still be lethal at 50 yards and beyond.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Launched at a high enough velocity, such as from the Nitro Comapany shells, denser than lead 7's are lethal at 50 yards and farther.

And of course at the top of the heap is hand loaded TSS shot. You would never need to use anything larger than 7 shot with TSS and most people end up using number 8 shot.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read a lot about this TSS shot...

I've always wondered... If this stuf is so great... Why doesn't win, rem, fed... Have there hands in this???

I'd pay the prices for them if they would give me killing pattern out to 60 yards... Ok my bad 100 yards lol
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've always wondered... If this stuf is so great... Why doesn't win, rem, fed... Have there hands in this???

I'd pay the prices for them if they would give me killing pattern out to 60 yards... Ok my bad 100 yards lol
I have no inside knowledge of why they don't but here would be my best guesses.

First is no doubt cost. Yeah, people like you and I would buy it. But the rest of the turkey hunting world that spends little or no time on the internet obsessing over this stuff like we do would probably grab their chest and start staggering backwards like Red Foxx on the old Sanford and Son show when they saw what a box of 5 would cost. I know many people that think the price of the Nitro Company's shells is insane and won't buy them. TSS shells would blow past the price of those shells by a wide margin.

Second, TSS shot is so hard and so dense that I think the big manufacturers like Winchester are probably worried that it could damage gun barrels. The hand loads for this stuff contain special wads, mylar wrap liners and overshot cards to protect barrels. All that stuff not only adds to the cost of each shell but tells me there is a concern for barrels in using this stuff. Nothing strikes more fear in the heart of company executives than the potential for a lawsuit.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Launched at a high enough velocity, such as from the Nitro Comapany shells, denser than lead 7's are lethal at 50 yards and farther.

And of course at the top of the heap is hand loaded TSS shot. You would never need to use anything larger than 7 shot with TSS and most people end up using number 8 shot.

I really like the 4,5,6,7 blend that Nitro does. Shoots awesome patterns out of my SBEII.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hevi-13

My Rem 870 shoots a good pattern at 40 yards with Hevi-13 easily a killing pattern but my fav. is Nitro 4x5x6x7 I could easily kill a turkey at 50+ with it but I am against making such a shot, you still run the risk of wounding or missing.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a troll !

He's just plain ruining this board and if your wondering MLB...
Old 02-18-2014, 02:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SouthernStrut56
Hevi-shot sure doesn't shoot well outta my 870 but 3-1/2" Winchester supreme #5 still gives me the best pattern at 40 yds. It's nothing but deadly.
I'll 2nd that.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the hevi shot blend 5,6,7 shot and find that it can kill with very high percentage out to 50 yds out of my SBE with a .670 custom choke. I am sure it would perform beyond that range but I won't take that kind of shot. The only down side is cost.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
What a troll !

He's just plain ruining this board and if your wondering MLB...

dude whats that all about???

just tryin to get the board up and running not trying ruffle your feathers... relax turkey season is comin and lets all get along... no more pics of you standing next to a public land hunting sign lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.