HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Ammo question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/389546-ammo-question.html)

The Green Horn Hunter 02-07-2014 09:56 AM

Ammo question?

Hey Y'all,

me and my buddy were talking turkey about turkey hunting season coming up in May.

We have decided to go turkey hunting this season, for him it's nothing new, for me its my first season. So I got a 2 part question.

First part.

Will this ammo work for turkey? Or will it screw up the meat pretty bad?

Second part of the question.

Or stick with my Crossbow, and buy some turkey broad heads off amazon.com?

CJMart 02-07-2014 11:07 AM

IMO, it's not an ideal load, but it would work. A lot of guys use a #7 shot size. You'd want to of course pattern it with the gun/choke you'd be using and make sure you're getting enough shot in right places for a clean, ethical kill. I'd say anything over 40 yards with this load and you'd want to look into heavier/larger shot...something tungsten-composite in #4,5 or 6. #7's lose velocity quicker due to lack of mass.

As for your bow question, I don't have any turkey experience with one and wouldn't be the guy to answer that.

The Green Horn Hunter 02-07-2014 11:09 AM

Thank you Cj, The 12 Ga is a fixed choke shot gun.

So I really cannot do much with it.

Topgun 3006 02-07-2014 11:10 AM

Not really a good load for a big bird like a turkey and I don't know of many people using that size unlike what the previous poster stated! Look at the various loads in this link if you're going to get into turkey hunting. You want something big enough and with enough energy to break the neck bone and/or hit them in the head. Shooting a turkey in the body, unlike doves, etc., is a nono and will result in a lost bird most of the time! You should also really have a full choke or tighter and pattern whatever load you'll use BEFORE hunting with it so you know it will put a good number of pellets in the head/neck region out to about 40 yards like most pattern a turkey gun. If your gun is only a modified choke your distance will generally need to be shortened to insure a good tight pattern is maintained. Don't shoot any further than you can get a good number of pellets in a small killing head/neck circle every time.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...mo&Form=IQFRDR

Murdy 02-07-2014 11:18 AM

That's a very light load, some may hunt with #7, but I use something a bit heavier. More importantly, its a game & target load, which is also a lighter load, and it's steel shot, which retains less energy down range because compared to #7 lead since steel isn't as dense. So if it was #7, lead, 3" mag., I'd say go for it, though I'd personally still look at #5 or #6, but I would not go with what you got there. A turkey is a big, tough bird.

The Green Horn Hunter 02-07-2014 11:26 AM

Thank you guys, I will look into further, My hunting mentor is coming over Sunday to hunt some squirrels in my backyard, He is bringing over shot 6 3 inch spent shell and see if it will work in my 12 ga, If it does he will give me 6 of them for Turkey season in May so I wouldn't have spend my money on shells.

Topgun 3006 02-07-2014 11:32 AM

What gun are you shooting and what is the chamber length and choke size? It sounds like you may not even know the maximum length shell you can shoot in it! It should be labeled right on the barrel near the action (2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2"). DO NOT put a longer shell in it than what it is labeled for!!! Either shoot some shells at a paper target BEFORE you hunt to make sure it shoots a tight pattern where you are aiming or don't go hunting. It's a simple ethics thing and if you can't afford a box of shells then don't shoot at game by guessing at what your gun will do!!!

The Green Horn Hunter 02-07-2014 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4121147)
What gun are you shooting and what is the chamber length and choke size? It sounds like you may not even know the maximum length shell you can shoot in it! It should be labeled right on the barrel near the action (2 3/4", 3", or 3 1/2"). DO NOT put a longer shell in it than what it is labeled for!!! Either shoot some shells at a paper target BEFORE you hunt to make sure it shoots a tight pattern where you are aiming or don't go hunting. It's a simple ethics thing and if you can't afford a box of shells then don't shoot at game by guessing at what your gun will do!!!

You know sir, I came in here to learn, not to get belittled by someone like you. The whole point was to learn what ammo to get? FYI I cannot afford new shells at the moment, I am moving to a different state.

I don't know what shot gun it is, it's some off the wall brand shotgun my brother got when he was a younin. I know its a Brazilian gun. So that being said I will ignore your statement and be the better man.

Have a good day Sir.

Topgun 3006 02-07-2014 12:01 PM

Nobody is belittling you and you haven't answered a single question I asked in order to be helped!!!! You asked for advice and everything I gave you was on the up and up with 6 decades of experience. If you don't know the chamber size of your gun you could kill yourself by shooting too long a shell in it! You also need to know the choke size and shoot the gun a number of times BEFORE hunting to know what it will do and not be guessing or you will miss, or even worse, wound a majestic bird! If you don't follow those simple rules of ethics, THEN don't hunt! One box of shells should not break the bank if you save a dollar a week until it's time to do your thing. It's as simple as that and anyone else that replies to you will tell you the same thing.

The Green Horn Hunter 02-07-2014 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 (Post 4121156)
Nobody is belittling you and you haven't answered a single question I asked in order to be helped!!!! You asked for advice and everything I gave you was on the up and up with 6 decades of experience. If you don't know the chamber size of your gun you could kill yourself by shooting too long a shell in it! You also need to know the choke size and shoot the gun a number of times BEFORE hunting to know what it will do and not be guessing or you will miss, or even worse, wound a majestic bird! If you don't follow those simple rules of ethics, THEN don't hunt! One box of shells should not break the bank if you save a dollar a week until it's time to do your thing. It's as simple as that and anyone else that replies to you will tell you the same thing.

Ok first of all sir, I have answered your questions I told you it was a dumb Brazilian off the wall brand shotgun.

But you obviously didn't read that part and went on huffing and puffing.

Anyways, I'll just stick to my Crossbow least I know what I need for the Crossbow, Sorry Y'all you had to see this.

Some people are jerks.