Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
sights, red dot or scope? >

sights, red dot or scope?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

sights, red dot or scope?

Old 02-14-2014, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

I have two set ups, my main gun has a Holographic site I inherited EOTech big $$$ I would never have bought my own.

I love the Hiviz Tri-Viz sight. I have one on my second shotgun and my son's 20g. It is easy to use and sights very well.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
I used a scope for a number of years for the same reason I was concerned about anything that required a battery I even still carry a compass because a gps relies on its battery.Now the comments about scopes and red dots and batteries. If ya buy a good one like Burris the battery life is not an issue. I used my burris fastfire all last year on the same battery and hunted in 7 states and killed 11 toms. I also hunted the fall season on it. I decided to try the reflex because I wanted to keep both eyes open which you can't do with a scope. The nice thing about the reflex site is you can keep both eyes open and if you need a second shot at a fleeing bird it is way easier to get on it for that shot. I even used it on my gun for pheasant and it was great.
I also went with a scope because of shooting extremely tight patterns and not being confident in the reliability of a red dot since it requires batteries. I also still carry a compass too!
Old 02-17-2014, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Just watched Hunters Specialties show over the weekend. Rick White had a holographic sihht on his gun and a tom came in. His battery died so he took his sight off as the tom was coming. Missed his first shot but got it on his second. Although he did get the bird, I wouldn't want to go through what he did.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Matchbook454
Just watched Hunters Specialties show over the weekend. Rick White had a holographic sihht on his gun and a tom came in. His battery died so he took his sight off as the tom was coming. Missed his first shot but got it on his second. Although he did get the bird, I wouldn't want to go through what he did.
This scenario always goes through my mind when im turkey hunting, as I use a red dot. To HELP prevent this, I always change batteries every spring and keep my sight off until that tom is coming.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

I used my ff3 from March to June last year.Then for 2 weeks in the fall. I turn it on in the morning and off at night. At the end of the season it was still working. I just put the old battery from last year in it and turned it on and it still works. They say that it should last for two years with constant use but I change it each spring because their cheap.