Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
sights, red dot or scope? >

sights, red dot or scope?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

sights, red dot or scope?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Default sights, red dot or scope?

I just picked up a mossberg 835 and can't make up my mind on what to put on it. I'm leaning toward a truglo ghost ring set or a hiviz for a sight and a mueller quick shot for a red dot but can't decide lol. Yall got any experience with them or any others within a reasonable budget? I'm all ears. Oh and I have the jellyhead choke on the way
Old 02-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a big fan of the scopes, although many people like them. I have always liked the open sights like Hiviz or Truglo. Just my opinion.

Last edited by RPD63; 02-01-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Typical Buck

I bought a mueller quick shot for my mossberg and had nothing but trouble with it so I took it off and bought the Burris fastfire 3. Man what a difference. I just wasted a hundred bucks. I wish I would have bought the fastfire first. I would say get the fastfire if you can its more expensive but worth it. I use it for wing shooting as well and it is great.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
I bought a mueller quick shot for my mossberg and had nothing but trouble with it so I took it off and bought the Burris fastfire 3. Man what a difference. I just wasted a hundred bucks. I wish I would have bought the fastfire first. I would say get the fastfire if you can its more expensive but worth it. I use it for wing shooting as well and it is great.
How does it line up? I've been hearing the red dots are kinda high when mounted causing your cheek to be a little high on the stock. All my hunting partners just use a bead so I don't have anyway of trying it out without buying one. Thanks for all the responses
Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

I have had a scope or reflex site on my turkey gun for a while so I have not had a major issue with the height. The mueller is much higher as compared to the burris which is much more compact. I am sure that you may have issues with your head or cheek being in a bit different position with the site all I can say is it is more pronounced with the mueller type. I have heard of some people raising their cheek with attachments but I haven't had to do that as I am able to get a consistent cheek placement with the burris at its height.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

With the tight patters of today's chokes and shells I would definitely recommend a scope or red dot... I like a scope...

I can see it now... I'm working a gobbler and I have my red dot sight on and 15 min goes by and gobbler pops up out there 30 yards and I put my gun up and my battery dies... Or I'm sitting there with my red dot off and a gobbler comes in silent and I'm busted tryin to turn on my red dot... I'll pass I like a scope
Old 02-03-2014, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
With the tight patters of today's chokes and shells I would definitely recommend a scope or red dot... I like a scope...

I can see it now... I'm working a gobbler and I have my red dot sight on and 15 min goes by and gobbler pops up out there 30 yards and I put my gun up and my battery dies... Or I'm sitting there with my red dot off and a gobbler comes in silent and I'm busted tryin to turn on my red dot... I'll pass I like a scope

I used a scope for a number of years for the same reason I was concerned about anything that required a battery I even still carry a compass because a gps relies on its battery.Now the comments about scopes and red dots and batteries. If ya buy a good one like Burris the battery life is not an issue. I used my burris fastfire all last year on the same battery and hunted in 7 states and killed 11 toms. I also hunted the fall season on it. I decided to try the reflex because I wanted to keep both eyes open which you can't do with a scope. The nice thing about the reflex site is you can keep both eyes open and if you need a second shot at a fleeing bird it is way easier to get on it for that shot. I even used it on my gun for pheasant and it was great.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Mueller MX-1 red dot and have nothing but good things to say about it. Holds a zero, battery life is good.. I will always have either a red dot or scope on my 835.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've had them all. With a true scope I found that I had to keep my head up to keep an eye on the bird.

With open sights I find myself paying more attention to the beads/sights at times. I missed three last year because of it.

I switched from my SBE2 to my 870 that I had put an adjustable Blackhawk stock and red dot on. I found that I could aim and shoot with both eyes open as long as I kept my head down. I took the first bird that I had chance at and really liked being able to keep both eyes focused on the bird.

This year I have a Burris Speedbead/Fastfire for my Benelli that I'm going to try.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Spike

I think as tight a pattern todays guns shoot, its best to use a scope or red dot. In years past, out of excitement of the moment, or maybe just carelessness I have occaissionaly missed a shot at birds, and so have hunters I have called for. I have not missed a bird, nor have any of my hunting partners since going to red dots about 8 years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.