HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   Turkey Hunt basics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/389126-turkey-hunt-basics.html)

sfwusc 01-20-2014 03:07 PM

Turkey Hunt basics

I went turkey hunting one time before and saw nothing. I did see some this year while deer hunting, and want to go back again this spring.

Here is what I have:

I have camo that should cover me 95% head to toe.
Mossberg 535 turkey/waterfowl combo (is the standard turkey barrel and factory choke ok here)
Remington nitro turkey shells
Callmasters by Woods Wise Mystic Raspy Wet Hen Turkey Call

What else do I need?

Thanks for your help and advice!!!

Mr. Longbeard 01-21-2014 09:57 AM

as far as your gun goes... id keep it simple... get some turkey targets(I like primos) and take a shot from a good rest at 20,30,40 yards and see how many hits you get in the out lined vitals (skull and neck vertabre)... with the set up you got your prob be good out to about 35 yards... buying chokes and shells can get pretty expensive lol... you'll hear a lot of different numbers of hits that "people" say is the minimum number of hits in vatals... I've always went with 5 as the minimum... as far as gear goes id recommend a turkey vest to help organize your gear... just keep at it and learn as much as you can before season opens...

also Winchester has a new turkey load (LONGBEARD)out that patterns pretty darn good id give em a try...

your definetly going to hear the "experts" push the hevi shot/10" circle... id learn about the wild turkey and how to hunt them first before you get all cought up in the expensive quest for the elusive 10" circle lol

good luck

Vulture6 01-21-2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sfwusc (Post 4117387)

What else do I need?

- patience
- Camo is essential, but movement will bust you quicker than a break in the camo
- I find that a mono-pod to rest my shotgun on works wonders. It can be maddening waiting for that Tom to enter your shooting lane. Trying to shift your position with a bird in sight will usually spook the bird (or spook one you didn't see)
- a rangefinder can be a big help. Once you pattern your gun and are comfortable / confident with your personal "effective range" you can set reference points from your hunting position for when to shoot and when not to shoot.
- sometimes a decoy or two is a big help (and sometimes they are not) - not essential, but something to consider
- I like to have more than one call (or type of call)... sometimes they like the sound of one over the other, for no apparent reason.

Good luck!

newton29 01-21-2014 02:44 PM

Find a bird that's gobbling on the roost. I generally let them gobble on their own. Set a decoy 20 yards from a big tree and set up. Call sparingly (2-3 yelps). Be patient. They don't always gobble right back at you, and sometimes just appear. Your gun if fine. I killed a bunch of birds with a 12 gauge with modified choke before I could afford another shotgun. Get a diaphragm call. Don't worry if you think you don't sound good. The turkeys probably won't care as long as you sound somewhat like a hen. My biggest mistake in 20 years of hunting is leaving a setup too soon. I have stood up many times only to see a gobbler or gobblers take to the sky.

Mr. Longbeard 01-21-2014 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by newton29 (Post 4117591)
Find a bird that's gobbling on the roost. I generally let them gobble on their own. Set a decoy 20 yards from a big tree and set up. Call sparingly (2-3 yelps). Be patient. They don't always gobble right back at you, and sometimes just appear. Your gun if fine. I killed a bunch of birds with a 12 gauge with modified choke before I could afford another shotgun. Get a diaphragm call. Don't worry if you think you don't sound good. The turkeys probably won't care as long as you sound somewhat like a hen. My biggest mistake in 20 years of hunting is leaving a setup too soon. I have stood up many times only to see a gobbler or gobblers take to the sky.

lol been there done that... hate it when that happens

Uncle Nicky 01-24-2014 08:56 AM

Sounds like you have all that you really need to get started. I'd wait until you've gone a few more times before getting involved with a lot of gear. But, consider yourself forewarned...this can get addictive! :D

2eagles 01-24-2014 09:07 AM

Get something comfy to sit on. It could be as simple as a butt cushion or as fancy as a little chair. I bought one that looks like a beach chair, but is camo colored. I can sit a long time in it and not be uncomfortable. It's hard to sit still on cold, muddy ground leaned on a tree with roots poking you in the back side.

Erno86 01-25-2014 07:59 AM

Besides a diaphragm call, get a pot call. Get a good wooden crow call --- for shock gobbling --- or just call with your mouth and vocal cords. You'll want to sound like a crow that's just discovered an owl or a hawk --- keep it short --- caaaauw Caw Caw, sound angry; then listen for the gobble. Use your deepest vocal cord while crow calling with a call. I've had them shock gobble with a pileated woodpecker call. A peacock call might work...but plug your ears with your fingers while using a pileated or peacock call. Some hunters use a goose call. Learn to call a barred owl hooty-hoot with just your mouth and vocal cords. A hawk call might work.

Learn to purr with your mouth and vocal cords. Learn to shoot right and left handed. Wear blaze orange and safety glasses while walking thru the woods. Buy a blaze orange net carry bag with a sling for your harvested gobbler, so you can safely carry it out of the woods. Put on a blaze orange cap while retrieving your downed but possibly still flopping around gobbler. Don't try to grab the legs of a flopping long spurred gobbler or he'll possibly just rip your arms and hands to shreds. I just like to step on his head and neck; but he'll still try to spur you.

Get a camo net that has foldable sticks that can stick in the ground, that has enough clearance for your shotgun/bow; or just use wooden clothes pins so you can attach the net to a bush or small saplings.

Buy a turkey vest that comes with a seat, or just sit on your daypack. The camo Howard Leight's amplified/electronic noise shutdown ear muffs work pretty good for me; since they amplify sounds 125%.

bald9eagle 01-26-2014 05:21 AM

The advice I always give folks is learn to be an outdoorsman. A lot of guys think that just because they hunt they are outdoorsmen......WRONG!

Turkey hunting requires patience on most days. It never goes like the videos. You also need to be really aware of your surroundings. Knowing the lay of the land is huge. Be aware that every sound you hear might be another hunter and not just a turkey.

BE 100% CERTAIN OF YOUR SHOT! Do not shoot at something that "might" be a turkey or a gobbler....KNOW THAT IT IS! The excitement doesn't come from killing the bird as much as getting him to step in the open 25 yards away. PLEASE DO NOT do like some guys on these videos that hide behind tom decoys and crawl up on birds.

On your gun....If you have a full choke to screw in do so. You can also pick up a turkey choke for 25-30 bucks. Get a good vest or cushion. You WILL have body parts that go numb, usually in the behind area.

You will need to be in the field a lot of days to really start to understand birds. Hunt.

RockyMtnGobblers 01-26-2014 10:42 AM

Well you asked...... and got some really great info!
I would second getting a good full choke and pattern your shotgun or you will miss, wound or worse.
If you are counting on those fall turkeys being in the same location this spring I wouldn't count on that, it does happen I have a flock here that stays in the same area all year but other flocks I hunt migrate same as big game does.
Talk to your local game warden farmers etc. to help you locate a flocks area then go in high and call after dark.
Be safe and good luck.